Workstations Full Image Backups Setup?

I’ve previously setup a DX4000 Sentinel and it has an automated built in full system image workstation backup included using Windows Storage Server Essentials. I cannot find the details on duplicating this function on the DL2100/4100. Is it built in or is there additional software and licensing fees required? Where can I find detail and specifics on setting this up? I consider this a major feature in selecting an NAS device especially if it adds additional costs and or configuration time to enable workstation production status restorations.

The only reference to imaging is a link to Acronis’s home page…not very helpful and the detail I’m looking for lacking.

TIA for replies.

The dl2100/4100 do not do a full image backup like the dx4000 or the ds5100/6100

There is no add-on that will match the backup capabilities of the other products

1 Like

mdvision wrote:

I’ve previously setup a DX4000 Sentinel and it has an automated built in full system image workstation backup included using Windows Storage Server Essentials. I cannot find the details on duplicating this function on the DL2100/4100. Is it built in or is there additional software and licensing fees required? Where can I find detail and specifics on setting this up? I consider this a major feature in selecting an NAS device especially if it adds additional costs and or configuration time to enable workstation production status restorations.

The only reference to imaging is a link to Acronis’s home page…not very helpful and the detail I’m looking for lacking.

TIA for replies.> Windows (backup) and Mac OSX (TimeMachineBackup) have their own backup software to do full system image backup to DL2100/4100.  If you asking to do full backup of your DL2100/4100 to another NAS.  Then there is a option in the Web page where you can setup to do backup from NAS to NAS.

Thanks Gramps…sure is a price delta between the DX4000 and the DS series. I like the feature set of the DX4000 but leery of the replacement hard drive availability as per the dx4000 forum. I like the fact that the DS series supports a console session via  monitor and keyboard rather than the headless network access only design of the DX4000.

Thanks for your reply. Unattended backup via the server is certainly preferable rather than relying on the workstation user or scheduling backup on each workstation. I’ve heard Mac TimeMachine backups can be problematic as well.

The other downside to the DS other than the big price jump is it must be the Domain Controller.  I wish WD would come out with something to compete with the Thecus W2000.  It does client backups and just has to see a DC.  Either itself or another one on the network.

If it was Christmas and all my wishes came true, I would want Microsoft to have a version that could just be workgroup mode.  Though I am about to concede that and go with a Domain which provides group policy.  Then we can push out gpo’s to fight/block ransomeware(s)