WORKING FIX Time Machine + Lion

Yep, confirmed working - backing up now (and it’s a biggie!).

Thanks and props to yagi!

I’m considering running this script but have one quetsion…

I currently have two macs that use my WDMB for time machine - One is power pc so cannot be upgraded to lion the other has just been upgraded to lion. If I run this script will the power pc machine running leopard still be able yo use the WDMB for time machine

Thanks for the script yagi_

Install was very easy.

time capsule is working again, I am backing up while I am writing this

I just do not understand how WD can delay a proper FW upgrade for so long, this was my last WD product I bought,

can someone recommend a serious vendor for my next backup disk?

@awills61: Yes it will still work. I also use two Macbooks on the mybook. Before updating my girlfriend’s Macbook to Lion i tried access with Snow Leopard and it works.

Even with very very old Macs connecting shouldnt be a problem, cause netatalk only offers the encryption method and the laptop chooses which one it wants.

So dont worry… 

Bernd_K wrote:

I just do not understand how WD can delay a proper FW upgrade for so long, this was my last WD product I bought,

can someone recommend a serious vendor for my next backup disk?

WD so far is the only manfuactuer to releease a fix to this issue (It affects Seagate, iomega, lacie, and most if not all other manufactuers as well) for any of their drives as far as I am aware (they fixed the My Book Live last week) - so switching to another brand likely wouldn’t help you much…

hello…i would like to use your script, but it´s not possible to connect via terminal to my wd - i´ve activadet the ssh in my wd. could you explain, what to do in the mac terminal? regards,medicman

open the terminal and enter:

ssh root@xxxx

where xxxx is the ip or hostname of the mybook. 

i still got wronmg password… (welc0me)

upps…now it works!!! thx sooo much!!!

i’m not sure if its a zero or a “big o” … try both, maybe it works 

Just wanted to say KUDOS - to you. Your install script as AWESOME and I am deploying it across all my drives all 5 of em.  Thanx dude…

root@192.168.1.119’s password:

~ # wget http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/local–files/netatalk2-2-on-whitelight/install_netatalk.sh
–09:04:11–  http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/local–files/netatalk2-2-on-whitelight/install_netatalk.sh
           => `install_netatalk.sh’
Resolving mybookworld.wikidot.com… 74.86.234.146
Connecting to mybookworld.wikidot.com|74.86.234.146|:80…

how long does it takes??? nothing happened

Does you device have an internet access (at least dns seems to work)? Because thats neccessary.

try if a “ping -c 1 google.com” works 

One question, could you do a full auto installer (unattended) that says yes to evetything ?

@umpa: I dont really want to do that. I would have a bad feeling just doing some scripts and you cant interrupt the process of something goes wrong. Is it a big problem to press (y) a few times?

Hi, no but some of the questions scared me because I did not know what would happen if I said NO. I opted for the less secure version, because my book world is really my book my network only lol.

sooo…awsom script!!! nice joy man!!! everything works like a charme!!! shame on you WD! SORRY!

ok, they fixed ‘my book live’ issues, but why not ‘my book world’,

they still have no update for the 01.02.06 with MioNet 4.3.1.13 firmware

if users post scripts how to do it, it can’t be that difficult for WD, right?

WD has to do “official testing” and the like, however I’m still not sure how extensive their process for rolling out updates must be if it is taking such a long time.

Thanks for making the installation script yagi!! 

Err… “such a long time” ? - Lions been out for less than a month… I was shocked the MBL update came out so quickly - normally you would expect such an update to take at least 90+ days… if anything I’d assume they are rushing these considering how quickly the first one was released…