Won't find content on WMP Media Server

I’m hoping someone can help me once and for all.  This thing is about to go in the garbage!

It worked way back in the day, but was picky.  Now it just won’t work at all.  I’m running the latest firmware (don’t recall which one it is), but that doesn’t matter, since I’ve tried multiple different FW versions.

It is the ONLY device in the house that won’t play nicely with my WMP media server.  The xbox 360 and WD TV Live Plus both have zero issues ever.

The SMP will *see* the media server, but will just spin its wheels forever looking for content before ultimately coming back and saying something to the effect of “there’s no content in the current folder.”

I can successfully “push” content to it from the media server computer 100% of the time, but that, IMO, defeats the purpose of the d**n thing.

Also (unrelated), as of last month, the picture has become very dark on the homescreen and all the menus.  We are using the composite connection to an SD television, no other issues w/ the TV with any other video sources.  My wife left the SMP on for an extended period (multiple days), but I wouldn’t have expected that to damage the video out ??

Any thoughts on either of these issues? 

Hello,

As a recommendation, you can try performing a factory restore on the media player. This will bring all the original settings on the unit. After the factory restore, you should try resetting the unit using the reset button on the bottom of the unit.

Check the following link.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3646/session/L3RpbWUvMTM2NjY2ODA5My9zaWQvT3prZ1Fub2w%3D

Help4All wrote:

After the factory restore, you should try resetting the unit using the reset button on the bottom of the unit.

Why is that? According to previous statements pressing this button shortly is the same as using the reset function from th menu.

I’m sorry but I’ve tried that multiple times even before I posted this, and this thing just refuses to see my WMP media server.