Without HDD/change HDD

Hi,

The inside HDD is nessesary to work ( it has some system files or first is it totaly empty? ), so it work without HDD  full version Mediaplayer?

Can I change bigger or smaler HDD if I want?

thx

You can do it, but you will void your warranty as the unit is not meant to be user serviceable. Also I do not think the unit can handle more than 1TB but I could be wrong on that. I think the unit will give error messages if you do not have a HDD in it at all. 

Haven’t tried but I believe the hub will work without the internal drive because the firmware is stored on its 2GB NAND flash memory not the internal drive. I’ve even read a problem posted in this forum that their internal drive is not detected so it means that you can still access it without the internal drive.

You can make the HDD smaller but not bigger because 1TB is still the WD’s largest 2.5" SATA HDD.

tsilver300 wrote:

Hi,

The inside HDD is nessesary to work ( it has some system files or first is it totaly empty? ), so it work without HDD  full version Mediaplayer?

Can I change bigger or smaler HDD if I want?

thx

The Hub will run without an internal disk, but I’m not sure if you will get error messages. I think The Hub stores Media Library files and maybe Get Info files on the internal disk. You can change the hard disk but it must be a WD brand and I think specifically a Scorpio.

As was already mentioned you will void your warranty if you open the Hub to remove the disk.

You can change the Hard Drive to another brand and reformat it in the WDTV Options, it does not have to be a WD brand. The new firmware makes it possible. I haven’t done it personally but others have been successful. But I don’t think its a good idea to take that 1TB disk out because it will just cause more of a hassle when your smaller drive gets full, you’ll still have to delete files, copy new ones etc. But it is possible.

UnhappyCamper wrote:

You can change the Hard Drive to another brand and reformat it in the WDTV Options, it does not have to be a WD brand. The new firmware makes it possible. I haven’t done it personally but others have been successful. But I don’t think its a good idea to take that 1TB disk out because it will just cause more of a hassle when your smaller drive gets full, you’ll still have to delete files, copy new ones etc. But it is possible.

Out of interest where did you find that the drive does not have to be a Western Digital brand?

Rich,

You’ll have to pm me for details. I really don’t think its a good idea but it has been done. Google is your friend but I have a friend whom, when he puts on his super hero outfit, accomplishes these type of feats. Its easy as cake though but I won’t do it since I don’t see a reason to. If you have all your movies in one place, and a backup in another, you’re already good to go. If you put a smaller dirive in there, it makes no sense to copy files to it, then having to delete them as the drive fills up to add more. But everyone has different needs, and I agree that many companies out there shouldn’t be following Apple like tactics. Users should be able to do as they please. This is why I own a WDTV and not an AppleTV. :smiley:

Maybe since WD completed its acquisition of Hitachi GST, they allow Hitachi drives now.  

But I have no idea.  I know for a fact that older firmwares prevented anything but WD drives;  I have no idea why they would remove such a restriction…