Wireless

When installing a wireless device there is no “Wireless” icon when reaching Setup as per the owner’s manual. Can you help?

What WD player model number do you have?

If you have an old WD Live / Live plus do you have an approved adaptor plugged in.

I have WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player and a Netgear 3100 adapter. I think I read it is compatible. Thanx for you help. I am going nuts. Dante

Model # is WDBABX0000NBK-NESN Thanx again

This is the list of compatible adaptors.
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3805/kw/wireless%20adaptors/session/L2F2LzEvc25vLzEvdGltZS8xMzYzNjUzOTI1L3NpZC8qa1VSUnZsbA%3D%3D#wireless

It may be that your netgear adaptor has a revision number and is different to the one tested. I’m afraid its very difficult to find an adaptor that works and its getting harder everyday as manufacturers often keep the same model number when they update the internal chip set. Its the chip set that’s supported by the player and if that changes then its likely the adaptor will not work. Do you have the latest firmware as some adaptors are only supported in recent firmwares. Mind you it also appears that the updated firmware can stop other adaptors that used to work.

Ok. Then what is necessary to establish a wireless connection? Do I replace the Netgear router as well as buy another adapter. Thank you, Dante

Do you have anything else wireless in your home that can connect to your router?

The Live Plus is an older unit (I have one) so did you just buy it?  New or Used?  What’s the “story” on it – I would ecpect a Live Plus that’s been around the house a while to be working by now.

Thank again. MN WDBABX0000NBK-NESN. Had it about a year. My Sony Viao computer runs wireless off the same router. The person who installed it made the purchase so I have no info on that but I believe it was new. The live plus works great with netflix, live 365, and youtube on the ethernet cable from the router. I even tried removing the ethernet cable to see if the wireless would work. I am thinking it is just some silly simple thing I am missing. The uploading with the USB port flashdrive also works well. I simply cannot connect the computer to the WD Live box. I have not tried using a USB cable between the two. Is that a possibility. I am electronically challenged so I thank you again for your efforts.

Dantebolla wrote:

Thank again. MN WDBABX0000NBK-NESN. Had it about a year. My Sony Viao computer runs wireless off the same router. The person who installed it made the purchase so I have no info on that but I believe it was new. The live plus works great with netflix, live 365, and youtube on the ethernet cable from the router. I even tried removing the ethernet cable to see if the wireless would work. I am thinking it is just some silly simple thing I am missing. The uploading with the USB port flashdrive also works well. I simply cannot connect the computer to the WD Live box. I have not tried using a USB cable between the two. Is that a possibility. I am electronically challenged so I thank you again for your efforts.

OK, let’s go through this:

Yes, you have a Live Plus
If the Plus works fine being wired to router with ethernet cable – why add a wireless adapter to it?  Wired is a lot better connection.

A USB cable is not used to connect a computer to a WDTV.

What are you wanting to accomplish by connecting the WDTV to the computer?

Is the manual you have, the Live Plus pdf file downloaded from the WD support website?

Is there anything else you can mention so we have a better idea of what you actually want to do?  Some of the things you said are really not directly related to one another.

Thank you again.

The manual I am using is the disc that came with the WD Live device.

What I want to accomplish is downloading directly from the computer to in my office to the WD Live device w/o having to use a USB port flashdrive. The manual says the device is wi-fi ready. Am I missing something. Thank you for your time and talent.

Dantebolla wrote:

Thank you again.

The manual I am using is the disc that came with the WD Live device.

What I want to accomplish is downloading directly from the computer to in my office to the WD Live device w/o having to use a USB port flashdrive. The manual says the device is wi-fi ready. Am I missing something. Thank you for your time and talent.

Yes, I recall that there is a user manual on the CD that came w/Live.  There is a more current one at the support website.

When you say “download” do you mean play media (music, video, photos files) that are on your PC to your Live onto your TV?

Well, first you need to set up Windows sharing (I presume you have a Windows PC; can you tell me which version of WIndows it is running?)  You need to allow the PC to share its files on your network.

You need to run the WD Discovery program on the CD.  You need to set up the Live for Network shares.

You do not need to have the Live work wirelessly, even if the PC is hooked up to operate wirelessly.

Let us know if you have done any of these things.

There is quite a bit of fiddling around to do, and if you can tap the assistance of a computer saavy friend, you would be advised to do this.

Thank you again. I believe the wireless adapter is causing the problem.as it is a Netgear 3100 v2. In any case I will simply download to a flash or hard drive and play from it until I do enough research to learn to set up my own system. Thank you very much. Dante

WHY are you fooling around with a wireless adapter on the WDTV, when you tell us you have the WD wired to the router and it works.  WHY do you think you need wireless set up?

Also, I posted this below in another forum today, and maybe it will help you:

How to resolve Network shares access problems - Western Digital

Here is an instructive video someone put on YouTube regarding setting up a WDTV.  Not sure if I agree with all of it; especially the part about turning off Windows media streaming in Advanced sharing settings of Windows…  What do you folks think?  Any other comments about it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSvrepOa_T4

First because I don’t know what I’m doing but am learning quickly. I wanted to be able to download from the computer without using a flash or hard drive. Now I know that is not possible. Second, I am trying to find a way to type passwords, searchs, etc. faster than one letter at a time. Frustrating and time consuming. As always, thanx for you time and input.

I’m sure I told you I have windows 7 but i actually have 64bit Vista.

Dantebolla wrote:

First because I don’t know what I’m doing but am learning quickly. I wanted to be able to download from the computer without using a flash or hard drive. Now I know that is not possible. Second, I am trying to find a way to type passwords, searchs, etc. faster than one letter at a time. Frustrating and time consuming. As always, thanx for you time and input.

Dante, none of this above really has anything to do with the WDTV as far as I can tell, so I have helped you all I can in this thread.  Keep learning – Read, read, read!  And, good luck!

I will keep at it and thank you again.