Wireless Tethering WD My Passport Wireless External SSD Drive with Sony A7R3

I am wondering if wireless tethering is possible on WD My Passport Wireless External Drive with camera, in my case Sony A7Riii…I know it can upload images by WiFi or FTP at viewing mode…but I will like to do it while I shoot.

Thanks

Unfortunately, I’m not aware of any camera (Sony/Nikon/Canon/etc) that can transfer full-resolution photos over WiFi while actively shooting. I believe the closest you could get would be a size/resolution reduced jpeg, and even then you might need to use Sony’s PlayMemories apps and a cellphone of some kind to connect to the ad-hoc network. In terms of insight (as I don’t own a Sony A7/A9/etc myself), it might be worth posting over at the DPreview.com forums, however I don’t think digital camera have the buffer size to pull off such a feat (although it would be awesome; your setup still offers a great way to offload/backup files between shooting though).

Hi @JW789 !

Today, the ability to “wireless tether” is limited to just a few cameras with FTP built-in. Some Canon cameras/accessories support it, and instructions are available here : My Cloud™ This will allow you to automatically backup full-resolution JPEGs and RAWs to the My Passport Wireless as you shoot.

Images are first written to the card, as normal, and then a subsystem reads those off the card and wirelessly transmits them, one-by-one, to the My Passport Wireless SSD or Pro. In our evaluations, there is little-to-no impact on the camera’s built-in buffer.

I tried a similar FTP setup on the A7Riii when I saw it briefly at launch, but I wasn’t able to get it functional…if you are able to figure it out, please do post the steps here! :blush:

Thanks for the reply @AlexJ_WD! I was not trying to spread misinformation, I was just not aware that such a subsystem in place in any mainstream camera that could transfer full files in a non-dedicated transfer mode. I am not currently an owner of an My Passport Wireless SSD/Pro device, but I would consider it a worthy investment if I knew that it could work out of the box with my current camera of choice (Nikon D850 w/ grip).

Regarding Nikon, I could only find mention of support for the Nikon WT-2 in the PDF manual (a rather old adapter that only has Wireless B/G support and compatibility for a small selection of cameras); a modern-day equivalent would be a WT-6a (b/g/n/ac support) or WT-7a (same features with gigabit ethernet support). Of course, if it could support the built-in WiFi/FTP function, then it’d be all the better (especially since those adapters cost $600 - $750 USD).

Edit: If WDC would be willing to send loaner unit(s) of the My Passport Wireless SSD and/or Pro, I would be willing to document transfer procedures for both the Nikon D850 as well as the Sony α7 III and α7R III (a local camera shop will often let me borrow a camera at no charge for the afternoon due to the amount of business I provide them). Feel free to contact me via PM if interested (I would be open to further camera suggestions as well, but no more than 4 or 5 total).