Wireless streaming issues

I have a dual-band wireless network (2.4 and 5 ghz) with all D-Link equipment. The Live Hub is connected via a wireless bridge dedicated to the 5ghz band so it doesn’t get interference from the regular network traffic and other routers nearby. I can stream Netflix, music, converted DVDs (MKV format) HD videos from my Canon HV20 and just about any content from my desktop PC without issues except for my converted Blu-Ray discs in MKV format. Just too much data and the hub quickly chokes and loses sync. Here’s the odd part, if I stream one of these BD rips from the Hub’s internal drive or the connected 3tb USB drive to my desktop PC, they play almost without issue. Same network, same hardware, different direction. Why would this be?

Because PCs have much more memory to buffer streams.   It’s called a “Jitter Buffer.”

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Because PCs have much more memory to buffer streams.   It’s called a “Jitter Buffer.”

If that’s all it is then WD need to redesign the Hub or it will never reliably stream HD content wirelessly. My main purpose for buying the hub was A) to stream my BD rips, and B) to stream Netflix. Until I can buy my own home and rig it throughout with Cat6 cable, I’m stuck with wireless. Currently, the only way to watch my BD rips is to rip them to my USB drive, connect it to the Hub and either watch them from there or copy them to the internal drive. Even this is a pain because the Hub is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow for transferring data, which also makes no sense. Why can I transfer a 25gb MKV rip from my PC’s hard drive to a USB drive in less than 10 minutes and then transferring from that same USB drive to the Hub takes close to an hour for the same file? A hard drive-to-hard drive transfer should not take that long.

Well, it is what it is…

I can stream MOST Blurays just fine from my NAS to my Hub which uses the Cisco WUSB-600N adapter…

Most, but not all… 

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Well, it is what it is…

I can stream MOST Blurays just fine from my NAS to my Hub which uses the Cisco WUSB-600N adapter…

Most, but not all… 

What makes the difference? I ask because I have some rips that will play OK, but others that start choking the Hub almost from the opening title. I’m thinking it is the ones with more than just Dolby Digital multi-channel audio. I use an Onkyo 7.1 receiver to do all the audio decoding and have the hub set on pass-through, but still seems like the DTS and HD audio stuff is what chokes the most.

Does the Cisco 600N support 5ghz band?

Simple answer:   Bit rate.

Somewhere around 32 megabits per second to 38 megabits per second is the weak point for my WiFi network.   I just CANNOT find a clean channel, even in the 5.8GHz band.

Yes, the 600N is dual-band.