Wireless n adapters

I am using a Buffalo AirStation WLI-UC-GN adapter and a Trendnet TEW-637 AP access point.   I bought both the adapter and the access point specifically so I would be able to do higher speed transfers using wireless n (300 Mbps is the advertised rate for the Trendnet).   I am getting less than 10 Mbps and I should do better than that using wireless g.   It is possible that the WD HD drivers don’t support the WPS mode for the adapter so it is not configured properly but I don’t know if there is any way to tell.  I believe that I have a gen 2 but the p/n is WDBAAV… which is not one of the ones listed on this forum as either a type 1 or type 2.   I just received a firmware update today 1/1/11 however and if gen 1 is EOL then I shouldn’t be getting updates.  

Any comments or help would be appreciated.

You’re in the wrong forum, but I’ll address it here.  (WDTV’s don’t have WLAN capability at all.  I suspect you meant to post in the Live / Live+ / Live HUB forums) but that part number doesn’t correlate… 

Wireless N is not much faster than G if you still have G devices on the same band.  The WLI-UC-GN is a single-band (2.4 GHz) device which means your AP must run in MIXED-MODE if you still have any B/G devices.

If there’s even ONE B or G device, then all common traffic (CTS / RTS signalling, etc) MUST be done at SLOW speed so that the B/G clients can receive them.

2.4Ghz N ain’t ever going to run at 300 meg.   EVER, and it frustrates me to no end that they continue to say that it will.  First off, to get 300Mbit/second, you have to implement channel bonding.    Meaning that your device will be on TWO of THREE available channels:  1, 6, or 11 (or some where between.)   If your neighbors are using EITHER of those channels, your bandwidth will be substantially reduced.    2.4GHz only has 3 non-overlapped channels available.   That doesn’t leave any room for interference.

5.8 GHz N might get close to 200 on a good day because the channels are wider, and there’s quite a few more available channels to use to avoid co-channel interference from neighbors.

WPS is “WiFi Protected Setup,” and has nothing to do with performance.   Are you talking about WMM?  

Thanks for the response even though I’m in the wrong forum.  I didn’t really expect to actually get 300 mbps but I did hope that n would be significantly faster than g.   The only reason I mentioned WPS was that the Trendnet documentation states that you must be in WPS-PSK AES mode to get high speed wireless n performance.   Don’t know if that is common to n devices or just a peculiarity of tne Trendnet device.  

I can live with 10 mbs transfers since it is just a onetime upload of a movie or music so that’s probably what I’ll do.

Thanks,

Ah.   That’s wp*A*, not wp*S*.     WPA is WiFi Protected Access;   that’s one of the security technologies.

WPA-PSK/AES   is WiFi Protected Access /  Pre-Shared Key with Advanced Encryption Standard encryption.

No, that’s pretty common…   WPA or  WPA2 are the only forms of security that are supported in most 802.11n devices.