Wireless mouse/keyboard stop working when copying files to My Cloud

Hi all,

I’ve been experiencing this problem ever since I upgraded from a laptop to a desktop, and from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Whenever I copy files wirelessly to my WD My Cloud, my Microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard become so laggy that they are completely unusable. Once the copying finished, they are back to normal.

Also, the copying is so much slower on my desktop than my laptop. The laptop (running windows 7) copies files at least 3-4 times faster than the desktop (running windows 10)

Can you please let me know what I can do? It is very frustrating to have to abandon the computer while I copy files, as I can’t use the mouse.
Thank you!

What is the WiFi adaptor in the PC? It may be rubbish, and assume that you will use wired Ethernet on a desktop machine.

Also check that your windows is up to date, and that you have the latest drivers for WiFi and wireless mouse.

It certainly sounds like there’s some electromagnetic compatibility problem with the MS wireless and WiFi. Try a wired mouse/keyboard and see if that improves WiFi.

This is not a MyCloud problem; it was working fine with your laptop.

How are you copying the files to the My Cloud? Using Windows File Explorer? Sounds like some sort of problem with the laptop that is typically NOT caused by the My Cloud which has zero effect on your mouse/keyboard operation. Like cpt_paranoia indicated make sure your Windows 10 laptop is up to date with the latest Microsoft updates. Also visit the wireless keyboard/mouse manufacturer’s website to see if there are newer drivers for the keyboard/mouse or if their support section addresses your particular issue.

How was the desktop PC connected tot he local network? Ethernet or WiFi? Generally WiFi will result in lower speeds when copying files/data to and from the My Cloud. It is the inherent problem with WiFi. If at all possible use a wired Ethernet connection, preferably Gigabit on both the computer and network router/switch, to obtain the fastest speeds between your computer and the My Cloud. You may also want to review the following discussion which explains why you may have slow copy speeds between your computer and the My Cloud:

https://community.wd.com/t/before-you-pack-up-your-wd-and-return-it-lets-talk-about-copying-speeds/91887