Wireless hard drive

I currently have a wireless hard drive (WD Cloud). It requires a wireless network through which I can connect to it from my PC.

I would like to have a wireless hard drive that I can connect to wirelessly from Windows even when there is no wireless network available.

Does anyone know of such a device?

please clarify your question, I assume some of your references to wireless mean wired

if it helps the mycloud needs a wired connection but wifi devices on the same network can still communicate with the mycloud

if want no network at all I think you are looking for a USB disk

briggl wrote:

I would like to have a wireless hard drive that I can connect to wirelessly from Windows even when there is no wireless network available.

There are several, including the WD My Passport Wireless

Just to verify…

If I am in some out-of-the-way place where there is no wireless network, I can still access the “WD My Passport Wireless” drive, wirelessly, without a USB cable, and access it as another system drive in Windows 8 using Windows Explorer, not just stream video or music from it?

briggl wrote:

Just to verify…

If I am in some out-of-the-way place where there is no wireless network, I can still access the “WD My Passport Wireless” drive, wirelessly, without a USB cable, and access it as another system drive in Windows 8 using Windows Explorer, not just stream video or music from it?

Yes.