Wireless File Transfer

Isn’t that interesting, I just got a RT-N66U and intend to set it up tonight after putting Merlin on it.  I want to clarify am I talking about streaming speeds to the WD not to a drive or flash connected to it.

dcb917 wrote:

Isn’t that interesting, I just got a RT-N66U and intend to set it up tonight after putting Merlin on it.  I want to clarify am I talking about streaming speeds to the WD not to a drive or flash connected to it.

Merlin sounds cool, but why not use the latest firmware from ASUS first – just to see how it all works that way.  Merlin can be installed anytime later. 

Regarding the speeds, I have no idea what the speeds are to WD without drives connected to it.  Just know the RT-N66U can do the job for you.  The upgrade from the Lynksys WRT54G was quite noticeable, but be sure to do all the necessary tweaking of the RT-N66U beforehand (pay special attention to setting up the wireless parameters; especially on this screen shot…)

Also, if you don’t have the free inSSIDer wireless analysis program, get it and use it to help you get set up.

wireless mode.JPG

mike27oct wrote:

30mbps for usb 2 is pretty close to the max speed

Didn’t you mean USB 3?  I get 7-9mbps to USB 2 drives connected to my WDTV – either wired or wireless.  I get 30mbps to USB 3 drives connected to gigabit appliance (Pogoplug) through gigabit wired network.

I mean USB2 max speed is 35MB

you must remember that USB3 if plugged into a USB2 port will operate at USB2 speeds

as for transfer speeds to the WD

there’s a couple of issues

while they advertise GigE port

actually the cpu in the WD is not capable of moving the data at that speed

so actual transfers will more so resemble a 100 port

and when you add wireless to the mix as well 7 - 8 mbps is common for the WD

I’m running an Asus RT-AC66U with asus-merlin, highly recommend it

he once told me he received source code on the router directly from Asus

and a few of his improvements have even been incorporated into the official firmwares

incidentally this is the same merlin that did all the web interface work for WDLXTV firmwares