Windows7 Experience Index WD Caviar Black low sub score

Why does my WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache have such a low rating sub score?

I was under the impression it would have had a higher rating…

Desktop Scores on a Brand new Computer build

Processor 7.7

Memory (RAM) 7.7

Graphics 7.9

Gamin Graphics 7.9

Primary Hard disk 5.9

System is clean of any problems.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hello,

The drive does not affect the Windows Index Score, perhaps you should contact Microsoft or the Windows forum.

Hi yes of course the speed of a hard drive affects windows index score put a 5400 rpm drive in and it would be like 5.4 . Any mechanical drive in windows 7 will get max of 5.9 even my 600 gig raptors get 5.9 but we know they are faster. The windows index score anything that would get above 5.9 would be a ssd drive its just the way they have it setup. I ignore it.

Hammey wrote:

Hi yes of course the speed of a hard drive affects windows index score put a 5400 rpm drive in and it would be like 5.4 . Any mechanical drive in windows 7 will get max of 5.9 even my 600 gig raptors get 5.9 but we know they are faster. The windows index score anything that would get above 5.9 would be a ssd drive its just the way they have it setup. I ignore it.

What he said. Microsoft decided that a 6.0 or higher requires at the minimum an SSD. Even if you have the fastest drive on the market (the SATA 6.0 Gb/s Velociraptor) it will read at a 5.9 because of this MS limitation. Considering how expensive SSDs still are, it’s not work making the jump yet. The only thing better than a Caviar Black (besides the RE series of drives (for different reasons) is the velociraptor, so you should be fine :slight_smile:

Makes me mad that 5.9 score the WD 2TB HD and the WDBC 1TB also 5.9 work fine.

my overall scores 7.5  7.9  7.9  7.9  5.9

ASUS Sabertooth x58 MB 

CPU i7-950 4c/8t @3222

6GB DDR3 @1866

SLI EVGA 470 GTX SUPER OC at  stock  

btw on the hds how do i know if its in sata 3.0 mode?