Windows stopped seeing WD TVLive Hub

Hey,

I looked through some threads but was unable to see any resoution to my problem.  I have  TVLive Hub that has been working perfectly until yesterday.  I did the newest firmware update which went through after I manually updated it, and now Windows does not see the WD drive under my networking folder.

The device is connected wirelessly and still has a connection to the internet fine,  all my moveis are still on the device and everyting works however I cannot see it from windows to put new movies on.  I pinged the device without a problem at 192.168.2.7, and tryed to add a network drive at \192.168.2.7 however windows was not having that. 

I reset all settings on the device and still no dice.  Anyone know of anthing that I can check?

Thanks.

EDIT:  Fixed it by rolling back the firmware. 

1 Like

Got the same problem as you with firmware 2.07.17 on my Windows 7 x64 laptop.

Thanks for the tip, I rolled back to 2.06.10 and the share works again.

I have same trouble with this firmware version. I´m downgrading …

have the exact same problem but when I try downgrade (followed step-by-step instructions) it still sees the new version and I’m still unable to see the hub through explorer. Have spent countless hours trying to remedy the problem - changed version in .vers file to a higher one, reset hub etc etc. No solution :cry:

Make sure the firmware update was COMPLETED. Several folks with wifi hubs have reported this issue when the firmware update did nt install the 2nd part. Use a USB drive instead if doing it via network.

See this post:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/HOW-TO-Update-Failed-at-Step-2/m-p/233316/message-uid/233316#U233316

Managed to get it to complete 2/2 of firmware update by using usb. However my Windows 7 OS on my pc still won’t see it in network at all. WD Discovery says it won’t see an IP address that used to be seen before the upgrade. Nor is it seen on another pc or on PS3 in the network so it’s definitely a WD hub problem. Like I said the firmware is updated (everything worked fine before the update) but still don’t see the hub in explorer. I did  try downgrading as suggested in another post but still have same problem. Any solutions?

As mentioned in my “Fix 2/2” sticky, make sure your Network Settings are still valid.

Lots of folks (like mine) were NOT after the upgrade.

Thanks for your help Tony, much appreciated. After trying everything you suggested in the 2/2 fix post I thought I’d try method 1 as suggested by Ramin and it worked perfectly. :smiley:

Finally got it working !

After upgrading 2 times from the internet (and rollback to 2.06.10) and 1 upgrade

from a USB key, I was stuck with the following message :

Incomplete firmware upgrade. Please check your network settings and
   restart the WD TV to try again. You can alose use a USB drive to
   complete the upgrade manually.

I’ve unplugged my Wireless usb dongle and upgraded again to v2.07.17 from a USB key,

this time evrery thing went fine. Afert the upgrade completed, I plugged in my

wireless dongle, no error and I can access my WD Live Hub from my Windows 7 computer.

I’m now an happy man with a WD Tv Live Hub running the v 2.07.17 firmware :wink:

Hey

Have the same problem as Craig90day. Only it didn’t help downgrading it so I upgraded it again - everything seemed to go fine, but I still have the problem: The Hub can access the internet but not my computer. Although WD Discovery does see the hub is connected and online, it too can’t access the hub. I tried applying the hub the same ip-address as my PS3 has but still no luck.

Can anyone help?

dexter85 wrote:

Hey

Have the same problem as Craig90day. Only it didn’t help downgrading it so I upgraded it again - everything seemed to go fine, but I still have the problem: The Hub can access the internet but not my computer. Although WD Discovery does see the hub is connected and online, it too can’t access the hub. I tried applying the hub the same ip-address as my PS3 has but still no luck.

Can anyone help?

I assume you UNPLUGGED your PS3 when you did this?   Otherwise you have two devices on your network with the same IP address, and that will cause any number of problems.

Also, even if you DO unplug the PS3, you need to make sure that you clear what’s called the ARP cache on your systems, otherwise they will still have the PS3’s “MAC” address bound to that same IP address.

ARP cache is cleared in a Windows Box with the command 

arp -d *

from a ADMIN-enabled CMD prompt, or by rebooting the PC.   Probably a good idea to reboot the router, too.

Well… no… but that’s not the main issue.:cry: The main issue is that after the upgrade, the WD was able to connect to my computer that same day. But the day after, the connection failed and has failed ever since. I can stream videos from the WD on my computer, but not vice versa i.e.: I can’t transfer FROM my computer to the WD. I’ve tried WD Discovery and the “Run” command where I typed in the ip address of the WD. Nothing worked. I tried connecting it with a cable: fail. Downgrading it didn’t help and a lot of restarts didn’t either. It’s pretty much useless right now.

Like I said.   If you have two devices on your network that use the same IP address, that’s a problem.

They don’t anymore. Since it didn’t work, I let the WD find an automatic IP. I checked and the WD and PS3 now have different IP’s again. The connection problem started before I matched the IP’s of the two devices. Which I have now learnt is a bad idea if they’re both on.

I had the same issue for a while, before I rolled back the software.  I could use the Twonky media server to access the drive and play my stuff on the computer, however Windows would not recognize the WD Harddrive.  After I rolled back the firmware on the drive, I then resest all the setting on the WD Hub and then reconnected it to my wireless network.  This solved my problems, after refresing my networked devices in windows the WD showed back up.

How do you reset the networksettings without deleting any files on the WD? Is it “Device reset” in the “System”-menu or will that delete the files?

After you got it working, have you upgraded to the newest firmware again or kept the old version?

*NONE* of the RESET options will delete data.

It will only affect the SETTINGS.

Yeah, as Tony states none of the reset options effect data.  After downgrading I chose to stay with that firmware as it does everything that I need, I also turned off auto find firmware updates in the system menu.

**bleep**, it didn’t work! I downgraded and reset all configurations. Still, it won’t work. Neither with cable nor wifi. I can’t describe how frustrating this is!

Last thing I can think off is to try and do a windows system restore, roll your stuff back a few days just in case you mixed up some network settings out of frustration.  Trust me, I can understand how annoying it is.