Windows Server Backup + Shared Folders

Hey there!

The recovery process had actually started this morning, the LCD had changed to “RECOVERY STARTED.” Using my PC, I followed the recovery process, which completed successfully. Then the machine name changed to WDSENTINEL. I could connect to the machine successfully, so I went through the set-up process from my PC.

Then, once the machine was ready to use—after loading OS, installing WD components and drives, and so on—the lights on top of bays #1 and #2 changed to red and the message “INVALID DRIVE” showed up on the LCD screen (see screenshot). The machine is now using just the drives on bays #3 and #4. The funny thing is that the machine came with the invalid drives in, so they ought to be valid.

I have contacted WD support as well, but am still waiting for a reply. Not sure what’s going on with this machine.

I guess you need to look at this thread

I know you really don’t want to spend anymore money but keep this in the back of your mind. Thecus makes a box with the latest storage server 2012R2 essentials software. It has the same Dashboard, does client backups etc. Also comes with ORB media sharing. The OS is on an SSD and it has 4 drive bays where you can put your WD Black Drives. FWIW it since it is 2012R2 it no longer has the 2tb backup limit. It also has video, so it is not a headless box like the DX

Hi Gramps! Thanks so much for these tips! Now I get the issue with the drives.

I was considering the idea of moving on with this box and look for something else, so the Thecus option sounds pretty good.

I’ll see what WD has to say about the drives.