Windows Live Essentials 2011

Still breaking sharing with WD Live TV Plus for anyone else??  I tried the beta and it broke it, seems like the full release does the same still.

I’ll be surprised to see a fix for that at all.

The “Fix” requires a completely new build of the Samba library and all of its dependencies and interfaces to the core code.

SAMBA.ORG only fixed this back in August; a complete re-build of the WDTV code to incorporate it probably will take longer than this box has left.  ;)

Not saying it won’t happen, I just kinda doubt it.   We’ll see.  

Is this the fix??

https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7577

It has to be somthing to do with  Windows Live Essentials 2011… when i install it, nothing works and i get “invalid username…” … but if i unninstall it, everything works again… tell me if you find somthing… I have serched the the internett all morning and yesturday… nothing works… :cry:

Did you not read what Tony posted?  He explained *exactly* what the issue is, and why it’s unlikely the Live will ever be fixed for this.

The bottom line – don’t install it (“Doc, it hurts when I do this”.  “Don’t do that!”)

I did… But I don’t know what he is talking about… Samba what? :mansurprised:

Not installing it is easy enough… But I still don’t understand how Live essentials and only installing live messenger can mess up everything so fast… Can Windows Live really be that complicated?

Give the Doc a bone!

Dr-haraldsen wrote:

, Can Windows Live really be that complicated?

Yes, it can.   With certain live components installed, Microsoft removed “Legacy” authentication methods; the ones that have worked since Windows for Workgroups a LONG time ago up until now.  

The Live/Live+ depend on those authentication methods, and without them, it won’t be able to log in.

Only new versions of the SAMBA code (the code inside the WDTV that allows it to connect to Windows computers) can use the newer authentication methods.

Furthermore, With those same components installed, Microsoft introduced the usage of Tokens inside the authentication protocol that were never seen before, and even the NEWEST versions of Samba choke on those tokens, hence the need for the patch that was posted a few posts up.

As I was saying, it will take WD a lot of work to change all that out, and it just may not happen before these boxes go end of support.

This development affected MANY third-party products, not just WDTV…  Pretty much anything that used SAMBA code older than about 1 year.

1 Like

Yay! This is absolutely fkn great!

So know everyone has to choose between WDTV or  Windows Live Essentials 2011 when using network share, can’t use both…

Of course, everyone can still use the old Windows Live Essentials, but who really wants to do that, now with all the social stuff implemented into Live Essentials. I was really giving my thumbs up for the new WLE 2001, and already I’m very disappointed. But who is to blame really?

Superb having a piece of hardware which developers doesn’t seem to update enough (still no fkn support for the ‘old’ matroska header compression) along with a piece of software, that to me is one of the best updates microsoft has delivered in years.

Yay.

PS. I was being very, very ironic with the first line (if you haven’t already figured that one out)

jimpalompa wrote:

Yay! This is absolutely fkn great!

So know everyone has to choose between WDTV or  Windows Live Essentials 2011 when using network share, can’t use both…

Of course, everyone can still use the old Windows Live Essentials, but who really wants to do that, now with all the social stuff implemented into Live Essentials. I was really giving my thumbs up for the new WLE 2001, and already I’m very disappointed. But who is to blame really?

Superb having a piece of hardware which developers doesn’t seem to update enough (still no fkn support for the ‘old’ matroska header compression) along with a piece of software, that to me is one of the best updates microsoft has delivered in years.

Yay.

PS. I was being very, very ironic with the first line (if you haven’t already figured that one out)

The 'old ’ matroska header compression problem is actually very new. It only happened because the developer of MKVmerge decided to implement it after all these years. I believe that the latest beta firmware implements the solution to this ‘problem’.

As I understand, the Matroska header compression has been around for years, only difference is that the new MKVmerge program has it set to default nowadays.

And who cares about the betas, why isn’t WD releasing a proper firmware update already? It’s been several months without a firmware fix for those MKVs

You do get that the betas are because there isn’t a stable firmware update to release, right?  They appear to be working on HDMI issues, which are a much larger concern.

They are trying to solve HDMI issues that are affecting many users… kinda like “is this better?”…“nope”… “how about this?”…“nope”

The .mkv issue appears to be lower down the priority list because there’s a work-around… you can just re-mux the file yourself – or even better, not use header compression in the first place when you’re creating your files.

People who can’t really use HDMI have a larger problem… with no simple work-around.  I can see how it’s a priority to WD over the .mkv issue, even if other people having a working WDTV isn’t an issue to you, but .mkv is life-or-death.

Of course I do understand how betas work, and I understand the priority.

But the MKV problem seems to be a very small and easy fix to do, yet a large number of users has issues. Why not just realease a proper firmware with only the MKVfix, then release a firmware for the HDMI issue etc.

Well, as I said, I’m guessing it’s at least partly, if not wholly, because there is a work-around, so it makes no sense to them to stop what they’re doing, go back to a firmware with known issues they’d like to address and add the .mkv to that, release it, and then jump back into working on the issues that they truly see as a priority.

jimpalompa wrote:

As I understand, the Matroska header compression has been around for years, only difference is that the new MKVmerge program has it set to default nowadays.

And who cares about the betas, why isn’t WD releasing a proper firmware update already? It’s been several months without a firmware fix for those MKVs

The point is that its only been implemented as a default in the last few months, so it was not a prime requirement of the mkv spec.  Why not try the beta if you are that impatient. I am using it without any problems. You can always roll-back if you don’t like it.

Well, I guess you guys think it’s OK to not release a single firmware update since March this year. To me it is totally unacceptable, no matter what their main concern is at the moment.

I would gladly try out the latest beta, but Western Digital does not list it on their product update, because they have some odd idea that they should only list it for a couple of days or whatever. Yay.

I mean seriously, why do they even have stuff here like ‘Ideas’, when they only update their firmware every 6 month or so?

jimpalompa wrote:

I would gladly try out the latest beta, but Western Digital does not list it on their product update, because they have some odd idea that they should only list it for a couple of days or whatever. Yay.

Are you freakin’ kidding me??   BOTH betas:  The Live and Live+, are BOTH ACTIVE and AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD.

You apparently have NO idea what you’re talking about.   

Well thank you for the information. Could you please then give me a link where Western Digital have these firmwares available for download then, instead of saying I have no idea of what I’m talking about…

Live Plus Beta: http://wdc.com/wdtvliveplus_limitedpublicbetarelease/

Live Beta: http://wdc.com/wdtvlive_limitedpublicbetarelease/

Same links as in the “Firmware” section.

Thank you!

Guess they have removed betas from the product page then, thats where they used to be before.

So for future betas, they will only announce them here in the Community?

From what I’ve seen, they put those pages up, and link to them from here in the community, both in “Announcements” and “Firmware” while the betas are available.

When there is no beta currently being offered, the same links will 404… they take the pages back down.

I didn’t know they ever linked them anywhere else.