Windows Explorer stops working

Following the install of my new My Cloud drive today and the associated software, Windows Explorer keep stopping and restarting. This usually occurs when I start a program or click on an desktop icon. I tried re-starting my laptop (Windows 7 ) and the network drive was not recocognised. Finally I had to re-set the drive. Should I uninstall the software and reinstall it ?

Welcome to the Community.

Yes, re-installing and uninstalling is the next step. If that does not work then try a registry cleaner.

1 Like

for local access there is no software required, configuration is through a web site http://mycloudIP/UI and access is through file explorer

you may want to try without any of the optional software 1st. then add 1 at a time and verify

1 Like

Having the same problem. Been working with WD support but still no joy. Please post if you get an answer. At this point, I find I can do just fine without it.

1 Like

I was having the same issue, found that this solve the problem: 

Navigate to this folder (assuming your Windows is installed on your C:\ drive):
C:\Windows ← Inside this folder you should find the file “explorer.exe”. Select that and press “CTRL+C” (this will copy the file, do NOT cut, just copy).
Then paste the copied file into:
C:\Windows\System32
And like magic, no more explorer crashing :). Hope that helps!

PS: I am very dissapointted about WD, I bought this product today to get these problems, very crappy software WD.

I was having the same issues in Windows 7 after installing the WD Mycloud for windows desktop. I started researching the shell extensions with shellexview and was able to verify this program was causing the explorer crash. Uninstalled the WD Mycloud software and explorer issues resolved. This program or this version of the program is not compatible with Windows 7 at the moment.

Subsequent to using the WD My Cloud app, my Windows Explorer will APPCRASH with exception code 0xc0000374 - this typically happens as I right-click the recycle bin (Windows Explorer then successfully restarts).  If I log off, then back on to Windows, the problem goes away - until I run & exit the My Cloud app again. If I logon (or reboot) and never run their app, i never have the problem.

I’ve taken this description to WD 2nd level, explaining that customers on their own community forum have been reporting this problem since October of last year.

Any thoughts?  WD, 2nd level, tells me they are “unaware of the problem”.  Perhaps if we compare environments and other details, we can help them sort this out.

0xc0000374 = [STATUS_HEAP_CORRUPTION]

I’m running ‘Microsoft Security Essentials’ for virus/malware control.

I uninstalled KB3022345 (installed 7-May-2015) to get ‘SFC /scannow’ to run clean

Win-7 64 bit, SP1    MS Office 2010     IE-11

Also see on this forum: “Re: Windows Explorer crashes after running the WD My Cloud App”

Ran MyCloud immediately after clearing my ‘Application Event Log’, then immediately exited.  There were (22) new “Errors” posted, all logged in the same second, all from ‘Bonjour Service’, all resulting from the MyCloud startup.  Here’s a sample:

[AppendDNSNameString: Illegal empty label in name “.”] 

[ERROR: handle_resolve_request bad “_pdl-datastream” “_tcp.local.” “.”]

There were nine such pairs (as above).

The next thing I did on my desktop caused Windows Explorer to APPCRASH with Exception Code: 0xc0000005

It seems to me that MyCloud is using a corrupted parameter list to invokel Bonjour services.  This is a good sign that somthing is walking on memory structures, that only get cleaned up by rebooting or performing logoff / logon.  WD 2nd level support has accepted my Application Log traces and is researching.

DRMoseley wrote:

I’ve taken this description to WD 2nd level, explaining that customers on their own community forum have been reporting this problem since October of last year.

Any thoughts?  WD, 2nd level, tells me they are “unaware of the problem”.  Perhaps if we compare environments and other details, we can help them sort this out.

They are aware of the problem just I suspect choose not to deal with it. I too have the occasional Windows Explorer crashing after I launch (and the close) the WD My Cloud Desktop program on my Windows 7 PC. I have to restart the PC in order to fix the Windows Explorer crashing issue. Had several emails back and forth with WD Support over it with no real resolution other than canned questions. They said that “this issue can be caused by many factors”. Which may be true. But one factor is their software, so long as I don’t open the WD My Cloud Desktop applicaiton Windows Explorer doesn’t crash. I unstalled the software, problem solved. 

Bennor wrote:

They are aware of the problem just I suspect choose not to deal with it. I too have the occasional Windows Explorer crashing after I launch (and the close) the WD My Cloud Desktop program on my Windows 7 PC. I have to restart the PC in order to fix the Windows Explorer crashing issue. Had several emails back and forth with WD Support over it with no real resolution other than canned questions. They said that “this issue can be caused by many factors”. Which may be true. But one factor is their software, so long as I don’t open the WD My Cloud Desktop applicaiton Windows Explorer doesn’t crash. I unstalled the software, problem solved. 

Bennor: Read recent edits to my previous reply.  WD has accepted Event Log traces.  BTW, I have no choice but to deploy the software to a SOHO group of users who require it for remote use.