Windows Cannot Access WDMyCloud

BOOYA!

It was… a lot of things conspiring to drive me crazy prevent access to my drive.

• In a misguided attempt to speed things up on a seemingly slow computer (long before getting the My Cloud), I had disabled some services.  Turns out some of them were kind of important for this kind of thing.   This alone did not fix the problem, however, so maybe that wasn’t it after all.  Snicker.
  • Norton’s settings were all correct… except, I had it thinking I was on a public network.  By default, in a public network, it blocks sharing.  Changing it to a home network was necessary.   However, things still didn’t work properly.  Yet.
  • I thought it was my router firewall until I pulled out an old XP laptop, which found the thing right away.  So much for that thought.
  • Tried various other things to no avail.  No, I’m not listing them, because I cannot remember them all.
  • What finally fixed it was changing my “provider order” in my network adapter settings.  It’s here in Rick Strahl’s Web Log.  The whole registry part described on that website was not applicable, since I’m on my home network and not, well, on UNC’s network.  However, the bit under the “Provider Order Dialog” heading did the trick.  I moved Microsoft Windows Network to the top, rebooted, and, voila!

Of course now I’m told “Audio Service is not running,” which has nothing to do with networking, so I have no idea what I did there.  But I bet fixing that’s going to be a heck of a lot easier than finding the culprit above.

Thanks to those who tried to help!