Windows Backup Issues

I have an EX2 with a RED 3TB disk in it. I’ve been using Windows Backup to backup my Dell laptop with Windows 10. Sometimes the scheduled backup works, but usually it doesn’t. It tells me the “mounted volume is inaccessible.” Sometimes I can get it to work, but right now I haven’t been able to get it to work in about 3 or 4 weeks. The intermittent issue is that sometimes it actually works. Has anyone else experienced this? I actually use CrashPlan to backup my files and Windows Backup to keep an updated system image. CrashPlan has no issues. Windows Backup can’t access it (well it can, just not when it’s running a backup).

Are you trying to backup to a public or private share on the EX2?

It’s set up as a public share, but Windows requires a username/password for network shares, so I used the u/p that I have setup for the device, and windows backup sees it just fine (if I try inputting the wrong password, it gives me an error, but if the credentials are good, then it connects to it fine). I’ll set it up as a private share, though, and try that (I’m using the Timemachinebackup share because I also have 2 Macs that backup to this device as well).

Public shares seem to work best.

Private shares, on the other hand, seem to cause problems with Windows backup software even when you supply the correct user ID and password. I’ve seen it happen with both Windows backup in Server 2012 R2, Backup Exec 9.1 on SBS 2003 and AOMEI Backupper 2.8 on Windows XP, 7 and 10. Others have also reported problems using private shares with Acronis WD Edition.

The private share issue with Windows backup software doesn’t seem to be limited to WD My Clouds either. I first encountered the same problem (again with Backup Exec 9.1 and AOMEI Backup 2.8) trying to backup to private shares on a Seagate Central NAS.

Yeah, switching to private shares didn’t work out either. So public share it is, but I still haven’t been able to create a backup in a few weeks because it keeps failing. I even tried creating a new public share, and it started the back up, got to about 95%, then failed with the same error. Something keeps interrupting my EX2’s connection to the network. I also have issue with my Macs. About once a week they each will tell me they have to start a new TimeMachine backup. Anyone have that issue with their Mac?

Might be worth trying a 3rd party Window backup utility such as AOMEI Backupper. It still has the same issue backing up to private shares, but it works ok to public ones - and it is FREE!