Windows 7 screwed up everything

I went from a windows 32 bit vista to windows 7 64 bit and everything got screwed up. After doing research I finally got my network shares to work after uninstalling windows live sign in.

I used to access everything under “media servers” but now mkv files won’t play that were playing fine before on the windows vista 32.

I now get the error “Unable to play the selected file. Please refer to the user manual for a list of supported file formats” The funny thing is if I access the file under “network shares” The file plays fine.

Media Settings:

Turned off Homegroup

Under advanced share options i have

“turn on network discovery”

“turn on file and printer sharing”

“Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in public folders”

“Media streaming is on”

“enable file sharing for devices that use40- or 56- bit encryption”

“turn off password protected sharing”

“user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers”

Public sections settings are the same as above.

Anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Thanks for your help

The Windows 7 Media Server doesn’t support MKV files.   Supposedly there’s plug-ins out there that will make it work, but I don’t know for sure…  I seldom use Media Servers since Network Shares are MUCH more flexible.

If the file plays fine under Net shares then it’s a media player problem and you’ll need to go to a forum for whatever media player you are using and ask them (because it’s not a Live issue).