Windows 7 Laptop Does Not Discover MBL But Others Do

I have a 2 tb MBL. It is connected to a Netgear Router. My desktop which runs XP has detected it and it can be seen on Smartware. All is running fine. A first laptop running Windows 7 has detected it and connected to it wirelessly and all is fine. A second laptop running Vista has connected to it wirelessly and all is fine. However, a 3rd laptop running windows 7 does not detect it and in Smartware only the laptop shows up. I can see the MBL listed in windows explorer and can access the dashboard when I access via the IP address. I have given the MBL a static IP address.I have tried connecting the laptop directly to the router, but it still would not detect the MBL. Please can someone help me?

on the “working” laptops, if you open a browser and type http://mybooklive/UI do you get to the dashboard?  what about trying that on the “bad” laptop?

If you can get to it by IP but not by name you have a DNS problem.

Check all the network configuration for the windows 7 machine that is not working properlly…

Did you mapped the drive in all of the computers?

Check the firewall on that computer…

cman548 - None of the laptops find the dashboard when I type http://mybooklive/UI. The two “working” laptops come up with an error messgae saing “Oops! Internet Explorer could not find mybooklive”. However, the “bad” laptop goes to a Mybooklive.com search page:-

http://www.mybooklive.com/?s=My%20IP%20Address&ac=2&slt=8&slr=10&lpt=1&gdt=AG06ipAWQc0aKzEMUIRf2XLMEfKZj8ufswoTCI–wf6j4bQCFWyUwgodXi0A_xgBIAlQlNCgAVDo0aABUO34jghQ-6yvD1CRq_YPUMzq-xBQ_s2WEVCCopsRUOO5tRFQg7q1EVC9vOURUISd5xJQsKCmE1Cd-bsTUJrrhBtQwtmRIVCDnK0pUIXmyJoDUNPmyJoDUKmlwIYGaJTQoAFo6NGgAXFHvqO7wiVaIIIBEwiMwsT-o-G0AhWGlsIKHbgxAImNAZbkL2uRARk4-XOBuESg

All 3 laptops find the dashboard when I enter the static IP address.

From your post, I conclude that I have a DNS problem. How do I resolve this? I am not a techie, so please can you explain in simple steps? Is this a problem with the router or the bad laptop?

ragdexx - as posted above, I am not a techie, but I have checked that the Wireless Network Connection Properties for TCP/IPv6 and TCP/IPv4 are identical on both the working Windows 7 laptop and the bad / non working Windows 7 lap top.

The settings are as follows:-

TCP/IPv4

General : Obtain an IP address automatically and obtain DNS server address automatically

Alternate Configuration: Automatic private IP address

Advanced IP settings

IP address: DHCP Enabled

Automatic metric

DNS

Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes

Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix

Register this connection’s address in DNS

WINS

Enable LMHOSTS lookup

NetBIOS setting: Default

TCP/IPv6

General : Obtain an IP address automatically and obtain DNS server address automatically

Advanced IP settings

IP addresses: Automatic configuration only

Automatic metric

DNS

Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes

Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix

Register this connection’s address in DNS

Don’t know what all of this means, but the two laptops seem to have the same settings. What else should I check?

I have not mapped the drive on any of the laptops, but they all have a desktop icon which takes me to the dashboard.

I am not sure what to check the firewall. Bot laptops are running Kaspersky Internet Security. The working laptop is running the 2012 version, and the “bad” laptop is running 2013. I am not sure what to check in the Kaspersky Firewall. WD Technologies are in the trusted zone.

I have solved the problem. It seems to be that Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 is blocking discovery. However, Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 does not. I fully uninstalled Kas2013 and reinstalled Kas2012 and I discovered the Mybooklive instantly. Thanks to this post:-

http://forum.kaspersky.com/lofiversion/index.php/t247088.html

Same problem.  I searched for Kaspersky 2012, but found that a US English version was not downloadable.  Do any of the English speaking readers out there have a preferred version you downloaded?