Windows 7 copying files to My Cloud with Full Access permissions

Recently my wife started copying files to the My Cloud, and I discovered that the files she put on loose permissions.

On her PC all the files has " Everyone full access" but when the files copied to the My Cloud every file changed to " Everyone ONLY special permissions" and only she has full access to the files,

And everytime I do something with the files on My Cloud what she copied on it earlier, I get permission Denied warning messages, BUT the operation is success. For example I rename a file, I get an error message, I press OK, change directory, back to the directory, and the file is renamed…

I can’t change the permissions of files on My Cloud, because it says “access denied” even for the files I Own and I copied on the My Cloud.

This is pretty lame, and frustrating, can I do something with this? Like disabling this option in Windows 7, or some SSH command for My Cloud?

You cannot change permissions on FILES or FOLDERS using the Windows dialogs.   Cannot be done.  Don’t even try.

It’s not a WD limitation – it’s the same for ALL NASes.

I don’t want to change, I want to leave the file permissions as they were on the HDD, before they were copied to the NAS.

Copy to nas changed them…and I don’t want this.

BullZeye wrote:

This is pretty lame, and frustrating, can I do something with this? Like disabling this option in Windows 7, or some SSH command for My Cloud?

The NAS sets it’s own permissions and doesn’t use Windows permissions.

Yes, you can change the file permission via SSH.  But my question is, what are your permissions set to on the My Cloud?

I’m assuming that those files are in a private share and that you and your wife have different loggins (are different Users).  If so, then have you set “full access” for that folder for you?

She has a Share folder, I have a share folder, and this is a 3rd shared folder what both of us use, and we both have full access to the folder, but it is not a public folder, should I make it public? But I don’t want my sister to edit/delete these files.

No, if you are set as different users, just open the UI in your browser and give both you and your wife full access to that share.

Open the UI, go to “Users” then select what ever you have as your User (what you log in as) then under “Share Access” select the folder you want full access to and set the permissions.

On private shares, each user has to have the permissions set for each private share.

Thats the problem, we both have full access for that share folder (Downloads)

But when she copied files in to that folder, i didnt have permission to rename those files.

What you’re seeing has nothing to do with permissions – you said you’re able to rename the files, but it’s doing it in a weird way. 

If that’s all you’re wondering about, it’s probably related to a bug:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Editing-Picture-Metadata-or-File-Name-Not-Working-Properly/m-p/631991/highlight/false

BullZeye wrote:

She has a Share folder, I have a share folder, and this is a 3rd shared folder what both of us use, and we both have full access to the folder, but it is not a public folder, should I make it public? But I don’t want my sister to edit/delete these files.

A comment on this…

You cannot prevent someone from deleting files in a common share.   If you both have read/write access to the share, then you can both do anything to any file in that share.

Yes I know, thats why I gave full access to the folder for my wife and not for my sister, and this is why it is not public (I thought it might help this issue, but as you said it is a bug)

This is just annoying, both of us can’t use the same directory, because we both get an error message when we try to edit the file what the other uploaded.

When She upload something and I download to my PC just to reupload she can no longer edit that file what she uploaded 2 mins before because I downloaded, uploaded and gained full access over that file and she lost access to it…

Fun thing, my sister who mount the drive over wd2go.com over the internet can upload anything and I have full access over those files…

Mindenki = Everyone, she uploaded both files, I just downloaded and reuploaded the 1st file (I’m bull, she is ery)

Well at least I can change owner for the files, so I can batch rename without errors…

Looks like today’s firmware release may fix your issue.   The release notes hint (sort of) that the Samba bug may have been fixed.