Windows 7 and Network Connections

Had the same shutdown problem with windows 7 and WDWE. If you uninstall the My Book device from the network screen it will keep the driver from loading. Right click on the device and you will see the option to uninstall.  Then you can map the network drive through Windows. I am still able to use the back up software and do anything I want with the drive.

I would recommend setting a static IP on the WDWE since windows can easily map to the IP address of the drive.

Do you have the network drive connected directly to the laptop or to your router ?

Any news on this problem at all.  I am running an HP Laptop and Windows 7 32bit and having terrible problems with the NAS not working with all the other devices I have connected and seems to knock them out, machine doesn’t shut down etc as described on this thread.  Submitted to support and they came back with:

The problem is related to Windows 7. It should work with other operatiing systems completely fine.
to be up to date about this problem it is good to check the Community side or to contact Microsoft as well

This reply isn’t exactly exhaustive - and the product is advertised as Windows 7 compatible everywhere and further emails haven’t been responded to.

I had the same problem and was able to solve it by:

a.  going to control panel – device manager  – disk drives;

b.  disabling the WD drive (this may cause the system to freeze);

c.  rebooting my system (may require a hard reboot).

Prior to the above I tried installing the WD drive, but windows simply reinstalled it automatically and problem would resurface when it did.

I spoke with WD who claimed that if everything was working correctly, there should not be an entry in the disk drive section of the device manager for their network drives.  If windows mistakenly thinks that there is a drive connected to the computer, then when a user tries to turn off their computer it freezes because it cannot turn off the network drive.

At this stage I’m not sure who is at blame for this mess:  WD, Microsoft, or HP –  but given that this has been going on since June of this year I don’t expect any of them to step up now.

That is spot on - thank you.

As you said when you go into Device Manager and disable the drive it hangs but the rest of the laptop carries on working and I shut it down (well it hung of course lol)

Rebooted and the drive was showing in device manager but as disabled, I could use my web cam, the internet etc and still see the mybookworld on the network and use as originally intended.

Thank you very much for the help - something WD support couldn’t - they referred me to the forums…

Thank you :smiley:

The above solution did not work for me.

I tried something similar, though.  While I was in Device Manager looking under Disk Drives, a device category called Digital Media Devices popped up with a device called Microsoft Digital Media Server Module.  Under properties, it had the same IP address as the WD drive.  I disabled this device, and the problem appears solved.

Well, as it turned out it helped with the shutdown problem, and the backup works, but now I can’t the shares.

I have to spend some more time on this later…

same problem with windows vista bussiness edition.

but w7 ultimate works fine on the same network. (both 32bit)

a solution will be much appreciated.

I found the solution to the entire problem.

I just bought a My Book Live, but the fix should also work for the older World Edition. I did this on 2 laptops running Windows 7 Home Premium, an HP TouchSmart tm2 and an HP Pavilion DV3.

The problem:

The built in 64bit driver that Windows tries to install is catastrophic garbage which results in the shutdown/sleep problems.  It causes a hang up in the power drivers for PnP when using the NAS, and you get the whole BSOD and all that fun jazz. The x64 SES Driver that comes with the My Book works perfectly, but you have to remove the Windows 7 driver first.

The Fix:

1. Uninstall ALL WD software/drivers (if you already tried any)

2. go to device manager, find your NAS Drive and disable it (Device manager may freeze, just end task)

3. Reopen device manager, go to NAS Drive again, go to properties, drivers, Uninstall, check delete driver from computer (Device manager may freeze but it didn’t for me)

4. In your Network screen, right click your MyBook and click “Uninstall”

5. Restart (optional) and before you do ANYTHING else, Install the driver that comes with the My Book (you can use either the minimal SES driver, OR, you can install the SmartWare which has the SES driver already in it)

6. Refresh your Network device screen and it should show up as a computer device now.

7. Test sleep and restart to make sure it they work

I did this on 2 separate laptops that were having the same problem and it worked for both

If you are like me and don’t have an optical drive on your laptop, the My Book already has all of the software from the CD on it in the Software Folder inside the Public share, but you need to copy this to your computer before you disable the drive for reinstallation because you wont be able to access after that 'till the fix is done. 

GOOD LUCK!

I have tried this, but still cannot connect to the NAS.

Its stupid…I can ping it, go to the web UI, I can see it ‘Network’ in windows explorer, yet I cant map a path either manually or by using the WD Discovery tool.

A trip back to the shop tomorrow for me I think!

Rob