Windows 10 Performance Problems with Black SSHD WD10S12X-55JTET0

Hi all

I’m not massively tech savvy when it comes to drives so please bear with my ignorance…

I have a Sony Vaio Flip Fit laptop with 8Gb RAM and a WD10S12X-55JTET0 installed. This is one of those Hybrid SSD/HDD combinations to supposedly give performance benefits?

The laptop came with Windows 8 preinstalled and subsequently upgraded it to Windows 10 (and have kept it updated regularly). The thing is that I’ve never been impressed with the laptop’s performance with disk transfer rates as low as 7MB/s and over 4Gb RAM (as shown in Task Manager) being used with only Chrome and TM being run! I’ve run CHKDSK /F /R /X and it comes back with a clean bill of health.

I’ve read elsewhere on this community (WDC WD10S12X-55JTET0 Driver leak) that there are some issues with the way windows 10 allocates memory for the drive???

Does anyone know (in simple terms) what configuration options should be set for this drive to work optimally? and to reduce the amount of memory

Then there’s the WD Boost S/W for this disk drive - The WD site indicates that its for Win 7/8 only and not for Win 10, is this correct? surely if it was needed for Win 7/8 it would also be needed for Win 10? Anyone know if it can/should be run on Win 10?

Finally, I’m trying to understand this drive and whether it has a more limited life than a standard HDD? I believe it is a standard HDD but with a 16GB SSD cache built into the drive. I’m also aware that SSDs can fail after a number of years? Is this the case with this drives SSD or is it made of a different kind of memory? If it is made of a degrading type of memory how do you know when this memory is failing or is it all automatically handled by the drive itself in a similar way to the way modern drives handle bad sectors?

Any help much appreciated.