Windows 10 IoT on PiDrive

I am experimenting with the raspberry Pi and windows 10 IoT. I want to see if I can configure the PiDrive to work with windows 10 on the “Pi”.

3 Likes

Were you able to get it to work?

1 Like

Welcome to the WD Community, @l3lliott !

I hope @Louiew comes back and shares his experience with the PiDrive and the outcome of the experiment with the Raspberry Pi and Windows 10 IoT. :+1:

However, it should be able to work!
Windows 10 IoT Core is a version of Windows 10 that is optimized for smaller devices with or without a display. As long as you have a Raspberry Pi 2 or 3, you shouldn’t face any issues configuring the PiDrive with the Windows 10 IoT version. I’d recommend you read more about it here.

Keep us posted if you have more questions! :slight_smile:
Cheers,
SuperSoph_WD

1 Like

Hi,
This is the exact reason i joined the community here (after many attempts to raise a support ticket… unsuccessfully, getting an “Internal Server Error” problem… suggest someone looks into that…)

I got a pidrive 314 to use as a database drive with my RPi running win10 IOT. However, because the system permissions running on windows 10 which lock down the file system, and the fact that the drive registers itself as “non-removable”, means i cannot use it and it is a nice paper weight.

There has been some mention of the problem being in the firmware of the drive on other sites, see here: MSDN Forums - Removable Drives Discussion

The drive is working, i can use powershell and go create files/folders etc on the drive from the raspberry pi, but when i try to use the storage namespace and save a database to it, it falls over due to it not being a removable device! I have verified this by plugging a small 8GB USB stick in and writing to that instead.

Please help fix this!
Seems like a firmware update is required maybe?

1 Like

DOH
facepalm
i plugged the drive into my win10 development system to find the classic, windows cant find this drive… went through initialisation in disk part/“create and format hard disk partitions” tool, plugged it into the drive and blam, working… so frustrating because it was appearing in powershell!

At least this is documented for someone else to use! resolution > plug into a windows system initialise format etc the drive, then use on the rpi!

1 Like

Hey @Chris_Watts.

It seems like this situation was a bit of a roller coaster ride. You did really well by figuring things out by yourself. Thanks for sharing your experience. It might really prove useful to others facing the same problem.

Cheers,
CK_WD

1 Like

Were you able to get it to work?