Windows 10 Cannot access My Book Live with File Browser

You need to check your file size limitation in the Windows Registry as well… The last time (before everything stopped working completely) Microsoft reduced the allowable file size for SMB transfers and I could no longer save YouTube videos to my drive. I still can’t get SMB working with the changes suggested here or by tech support. I only have access through FTP now :frowning:

Here is how to fix the file size limit…

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WebClient\Parameters

Right Click
FileSizeLimitInBytes
and click Modify
Click on Decimal
In the value data box type in
then click OK
This sets the max transfer to 4GB (This is the maximum allowed)

Info from Microsoft Support Forum “Error 0x800700DF: The file size exceeds the limit allowed and cannot be saved”

1 Like

Thanks that worked. Screenshot extremely helpful. Appreciate your effort and sharing.

Thanks for this, I had this problem (after switching from a wireless connection due to the recent security nightmare) and ticking those two SMB options was what worked for me!

Ok so I’m not nearly computer savvy as I once was. I tried to do the gpedit.msc thing and the run command gave me an error and it didn’t work. I was determined to get to the bottom of this problem and I have found a solution. Posting in case it can help someone else like me.

So I was able to reset the HD with the physical button on the unit and get logged into the UI. From there I was able to create a user account and give it permission to access the files. Then I went to file explorer and typed in “\\Devicename\Sharename”and log in that way. Once it did actually show me the files. I was able to right click the little Sharename icon on the left side of explorer and tell it to pin to quick access and map network drive and save my login credentials. Seems to have solved my problem, hope this helps someone.

First of all you have to enable it.

After restart PC, navigate to Network and open my book live

It will one in a browser, check connection status

now you have to copy your IP address, 192.168.1.138

But you have to add two slashes >>> \ \ <<< in front for accessing files…

Congrats you should be fine, cheers.

Personally all it took for me on Windows 11 Home Edition was to go in WD My Book Live Settings and Change the Device Name to whatever you want to name it but ALL CAPS and it worked. No other thing I did or change any settings in Windows Feature

Thanks - after doing all the regedit tips the simple rename worked for me.