Window and Mac cannot recognize the my "Western Digital My Book Essential 3TB"!

When I was transferring the files(small size) from the qnap to the WD my Book yesterday, it didn’t have response for a long time. Then I disconnected the WD my Book directly. When I tried to the connect it again, my qnap, mac book pro(10.9.2) or window xp also couldn’t recognize the WD my book external hard disk.

Then I had tried to update the firmware unsuccessfully on both Window and Mac. Also, as the WD my Book cannot been recognize, I cannot format it. Please help everybody.

I had tried to uninstall or install WD SES Device several times, but it still couldn’t recognize the WD my Book.

Window Disk Management couldn’t recognize the WD my Book. Also, I could find the WD my Book in the “My Company”.

Then I tried to use the WD Fireware updater.

But the firmware update failed on specified drive. It kept asking me to close other open applications and then run the WD Fireware updater again. I had tried to do so, but it kept showing this message.

The wd smartware could show the My Book. But it showed “No writable partition found”. And there were no other usable function that I could recover the “My Book” in the wd smartware.

Lastly, I ran the quick test and extended test and write zeros function in the WD Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. It showed the above result. The capacity of the “My Book” is 0, but I had nearly 1TB data in it.Those three actions just took one second and it seemed that it didn’t checked anything in the hard disk.

I just failed to transfer one file and it damaged all files in the hard disk??? Please help everybody.

==============================================================================

Situation in Mac

In Mac, the wd smartware could show the My Book. But it showed “Additional Files 0 bytes”.

I didn’t set any password to the WD My Book, so I don’t know this (Security) screen is normal or not.

Quick SMART status failed. And it just took one second.

Qucik Drive test passed. But it just took one second and it seemed that it didn’t checked anything in the hard disk.

Complete Drive test passed. But it also just took one second and it seemed that it didn’t checked anything in the hard disk.

mac_12_wd_firmware_update1.png

Then I tried to use the WD Fireware Updater in Mac.

mac_13_wd_firmware_update2.png

But it kept showed the above message “Drive is locked. Drive locked. Unlock your dive; then click Continue to Update.” . But I did set any password to this hard disk. How can I unlock it?

==============================================================================

Situation in Qnap

I had nothing to show in Qnap as it couldn’t recognize the WD my book and WD doesn’t have any tools in the Qnap.

But one thing I can tell about the Qnap. I always transfer files from Qnap to the WD my book. It always fails and I always need to use the window’s error checking function"Automatically fix tile system errors" to fix it. Otherwise, I couldn’t transfer new files to the WD my book. But as the window couldn’t recognize the WD my book this time, I couldn’t fix it by using this function.

error-checking.png

Hello,

Make sure the drive is plugged in directly to the wall outlet. A power strip, extension cord and surge protector sometimes dont provide enough power to spin the drive properly. 

If you still have this issue and are not able to see your drive in disk management on your Windows computer then you should try getting a replacement. 

If the drive is still under warranty you can create a RMA.

How to get an RMA, (Return Merchandise Authorization) or replace a defective product under warranty 

My product is still under warranty. But I had checked that the warranty doesn’t seem to provide any face to face services that will investigate or repair the product. Am I correct? If I cannot find any solutions in the “WD Community”, I can only try the RMA.

Besides, if I try to find your Data Recovery Partners under the warranty period, I still need to pay the service provider by myself. Am I correct?