Win7 "Play To" works from Explorer but not Windows Media Player

Once setting up the network settings on my new WDTV Live Streaming device, I found that Windows 7 automatically detected it and displays it under “Network” in the “Media Devices” section (with an icon that looks like an MP3 player). This also enabled the ability for me to right-click any media files on my PC and “Play To” appears with the WDTV listed as the only option. I was surprised when the WDTV automatically picked up the feed and played my audio and video files this way with no further setup needed! So far so good…

But I’m not happy with just dragging files into the Play To dialog window. I want to be able to use playlists, be able to search for titles or artists, and basically have a full-featured media player provide the audio stream from my PC to the WDTV. In Windows Media Player 12, there is a “Play To” button in the top right that matches the icon of the “Play To” dialog that I can launch from Windows Explorer, but when I click this button it just says “No media devices found”. I’ve tried all the settings under the “Stream” menu, and ensured that in the Media Streaming Options the WDTV is displayed and is allowed full access… though that seems more related to allowing the WDTV to read my media library and has nothing to do with WMP being able to detect the WDTV. 

So, while this is probably an issue with Windows 7 or WMP 12, I am posting here because I’d like to know if anybody else has been able to use WMP to “Play To” their WDTV device?

And a somewhat unrelated question, has anyone been able to use SHOUTcast or any other streaming software to play music from their PC via a full-featured media player application (WMP, MPC, WinAmp, etc) to the WDTV, and if so, how did you get the WDTV to find and play the stream?

>>>>   I’d like to know if anybody else has been able to use WMP to “Play To” their WDTV device?

Yes, I can.  Also, I can use “Play To” from Win Explorer.  (all in Win 7)  In either case I see both my WDTV devices.

>>>   And a somewhat unrelated question, has anyone been able to use SHOUTcast or any other streaming software to play music from their PC via a full-featured media player application (WMP, MPC, WinAmp, etc) to the WDTV, and if so, how did you get the WDTV to find and play the stream?

I don’t think this is possible, so I invite someone to prove me wrong. as that would be cool.

Play To is cool, and every so often I use it, but if you really want to play your music easily on the WD, you need to put it on an HD connected to the WD.  (Same goes for any other media.)  Quick story:  all my(with no copy protection)  iTunes music library is replicated on the WD hard drive.  I use playlists generated by iTunes and put them on the HD to play my music.  If you want to know more, I have written many posts here about that, and you can search for them.

Anyway, it can be done, but since your WD SMP is so new to you, just spend time now getting used to it and be sure it is all set up correctly.  If you don’t have a HD for it right now, put some music on a flash drive and play from it for now.