Win2008 enterprise and wd tv share


#1

Hello all

Wondering if anyone is using win2008 and shares with WD live TV ?

I have made a new share called wdtv just for my little wd box (which runs just fine with windows home server and freenas shares) and done fowllowing :

on share part (SMB) I added everyone with READ permissions but on NTFS permissions I added WDTV account with full rights permissions.I also activated SSDP services in hope to see upnp devices (vice versa) but it seams did nothing for me.

When I go to video/networkshares I ONLY see freenas and windows home server share.Win2008 share cant be seen at all.

So my question is did anyone had issues with win2008 shares and is there something else that I forgot to ads/do in order for wd live tv to see share?

Thanks


#2

If you don’t mind my asking about your freenas configuration [when time permits]…

Have you been able to access it under WD as a media server or just through shares?  I see FREENAS when I’m scrolling through the options -be it video, pictures, music; however, I actually have to go at it a different way to access them.


#3

castra wrote:

 

So my question is did anyone had issues with win2008 shares and is there something else that I forgot to ads/do in order for wd live tv to see share?

 

Thanks

Yes, absolutely someone has had a problem with Win2008 shares and if I can locate the thread here (I’m trying, believe me) it will have an answer for you (hopefully the right answer, but at least an answer).

About a week or two ago a user posted a solution for his Win2008 problems – it was specific to that server, and he said it solved his issues, and I even commented on it, but I’ve been looking for it for the past day or so and have been unable to find it.  But I’ll give it another shot and if I do I’ll link to it here (in the meantime let’s hope he revisits the board and sees this thread).


#4

Ah – I’m an old man.  For the life of me I thought it was a Win2008 problem, and now that I found the solution I see it was for a Win2003 server.

Still, it might help you (might not, but that’s the nature of troubleshootng).  So here’s the thread and see if the solution works for you (if not maybe we can think of something else):

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/Netbios-over-TCIP-IP-must-be-enabled-for-network-sharing/td-p/18811


#5

WDinTX wrote:

If you don’t mind my asking about your freenas configuration [when time permits]…

Have you been able to access it under WD as a media server or just through shares?  I see FREENAS when I’m scrolling through the options -be it video, pictures, music; however, I actually have to go at it a different way to access them.

Sorry forgot about this post due to my win2008 exam :smiley: (passed it by the way with 1000/1000)

About your question: Freenas share is visable as media server or network share, but very slow for my needs as I run it on vmware esxi and linux driver ■■■■■ with out vmware-tools (thats a whole 'nother ball game).Nothing spec done on freenas  just shared it as I normally would. 


#6

mkelley wrote:

Ah – I’m an old man.  For the life of me I thought it was a Win2008 problem, and now that I found the solution I see it was for a Win2003 server.

 

Still, it might help you (might not, but that’s the nature of troubleshootng).  So here’s the thread and see if the solution works for you (if not maybe we can think of something else):

 

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/Netbios-over-TCIP-IP-must-be-enabled-for-network-sharing/td-p/18811> * * *

Old man :smiley: No worries mate all help is much appreciated.

Netbios over tcp/ip is ON (running static IP) and I added rules for Netbios UDP part on ports 137/138 but result is the same. I cant see my shares even though my mac/linux/vista/win7 can access it with out problems.

Still looking for a solution

Thanks guys 

PS

WHS shares and media part works with out issues.


#7

I found a solution to my problem and here is quick summary what to do.

So on windows 2008 server be sure to:

1.have netbios over tcp/ip activated/ON under your network card advance setup

2.Start (if not started already) services:

  •  Computer Browser  
  •  SSDP Discovery    

3.add port rules UDP 137,138 to your Advance Firewall (to all profiles)  and then restart firewall service 

This is not tested on windows 2008 R2 but I’m sure it gonna work on that one too.                        

WDTV Live uses static ip and same goes for windows 2008 server