Win10: unable to connect my passport 1TB USB 3.2 Gen 2

Hi,

following hardware/software

• WD my passport 1TB SSD NVMe USB 3.2 Gen2 and delivered cable
  • ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming USB 3.2 Gen2
  • windows 10 pro
  • 2m extension cord USB 3.1 Gen2 Type C plug-to-socket

good behaviour

• connect ext SSD drive directly to mainboard: everything works fine, drive gets recognozed immediately and expected transfer rates are reached.

bad behaviour

• now I want to use a 2m extension cord to operate the external SSD-drive and plug the delivered cable into the plug
  • tested 2 different cables specified with USB 3.1 Gen2 (10 Gbps), those are identical to USB 3.2 Gen 2 in the USB 3.2 spec
  • I am unable to connect the external drive. the drive H is shown without status bar and windows 10 responds with a pop up error message “drive not accessible”
  • sporadically the drive is recognized (rarely) but it reaches much lower transfer rates.

expected behaviour

• from my understanding it should just work fine as all components are supposed to fullfill the USB 3.2 gen2 standard
  • I still assume to have faulty extension cord cables, however, since i tested with 2 different cables from different manufacturers I am wondering if I’m missing something or if its just impossible as of today to connect external drives via a 2m USB 3.2 gen2 (10Gbps) cable and reach the expected transfer rates

much lower transfer rate compared to direct cabling (almost half). looks like cable is gen1 (5Gbps = 625MB/s)

Instead of using an extension cable, try purchasing a longer USB cable and use that instead. Buy a good name brand and high quality cable as cheaper ones tend to produce problems the longer they are, and don’t go longer than what you need. A short cable will provide the best reliability as well as transfer speeds, as there’s more signal loss and power resistance with a longer cable, all of which comes down to specifications and quality.

thanks for your reply. however, for my use case a plug-to-plug cable is not an option as I have more peripheral USB-C devices I want to connect to it which need the socket.

I did more testing and figured out that I have to connect the device and the extension cord in a specific direction. then its reliably recognized and works fine, just the speed is lower (1000MB/s down to 400ish). meanwhile, I have 3 USB 3.1 gen2 10 Gbps extension cables all of which show exactly the same behaviour and similar speed results. I couldnt find any USB3.2 gen2 cables of 2m length online.

I still dont get it as to why I have to connect it in a specific direction (up/down as in USB Typ A) when using the extension cord while I can flip it both directions when connecting directly.

also interesting: when I connect 2 of these cables in series to get a 4m extension in total, I dont measure a notable loss in speed with that speed test compared to only one cable (2m). So I come to the conclusion that either USB 3.1 Gen2 is different to USB 3.2 Gen2 (not only renaming it) or all of these USB cable vendors are selling the cable as 10Gbps although the cables can do only 5Gbps.

does somebody have a recommendation which 2m extension can do the 10 Gbps? the cables I got are pretty much the most expensive ones you can find on amazon and they cant do 10 Gbps = 1250MB/s otherwise the transfer speed wouldnt drop this much.

these are the transfer speeds when connecting directly with the short cable. a 10 Gbps cable shouldnt lower the speed this much, maybe to 800 MB/s ok but not this much.