Will not play "dvd_video.iso" files

I have been steadily ripping my DVD collection to .iso format using DVD Cloner. I have discovered that DVDs that rip with the volume name “DVD_VIDEO.ISO” do not play. (I do not name the dvd as it’s ripping, DVD Cloner automatically gives the .iso file the same name as the disc.)

So when I go to select the “DVD_VIDEO.ISO” file the preview window will commence showing the feature film, and I can watch the whole movie that way, but the menus are not available. If I go ahead and select the .iso file, though, I get a black screen with the progress indicator stuck at 00:00. The system is not hung up, I can easily hit ‘back’ to get back to the WD menu.

I am using a WD Elements 2TB drive in the USB2 port, and I have the latest firmware on the media player.

I experimented a bit and found that renaming the file does not make the file playable. If I rip the file as a VOB-folder file it seems to play fine.

It seems that older DVDs (pre-2005) are more likely to have the volume name “DVD_VIDEO.ISO”. A couple of DVDs that I have this problem with are: Crouching TIger Hidden Dragon, Glory, and Gandhi.

I greatly prefer conversion to .iso over other formats. If there is a solution to this issue I would greatly appreciate hearing it.

Thanks.

You could try DVDFab to rip your DVD’s. Its a free trial and even after the trial ends there is still free ripping. Its worth a try to see if your problem is overcome.

I tested out DVDFab with CrouchingTiger and the resulting .iso file plays fine. Thanks!

I suppose it’s a software issue with DVDCloner, perhaps the copy protection is not properly scrubbed on older discs.

I’m going to keep this thread open for a few more days, in case anyone has a similar experience and might know of a fix.

Visofile wrote:

I tested out DVDFab with CrouchingTiger and the resulting .iso file plays fine. Thanks!

I suppose it’s a software issue with DVDCloner, perhaps the copy protection is not properly scrubbed on older discs.

I’m going to keep this thread open for a few more days, in case anyone has a similar experience and might know of a fix.

visofile,

I use dvdfab extensively and recently tried making .iso files to see if I can get them to stream to my wdtv live plus.  I have not been successful.  I see that you play them off a usb drive.  Have you tried to stream them via a LAN?

If you’re talking about “Streaming” as in via a Media Server, you can’t.   DVD is only playable via Network Shares or Local Storage.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

If you’re talking about “Streaming” as in via a Media Server, you can’t.   DVD is only playable via Network Shares or Local Storage.

Thanks TonyPh12345, I figured that.  However, I have not tried to play them via network share.  I’ll give that a shot, but I have been pretty content with playing uncompressd mkv files so not sure that iso will buy me anything.

Visofile wrote:

I have discovered that DVDs that rip with the volume name “DVD_VIDEO.ISO” do not play.

Actually they do just fine (on 1.04.17 anyway).

I haven’t tried playing an .iso through a network. I haven’t been successful streaming large files wirelessly (other than netflix).

Techflaws wrote:

Actually they do just fine (on 1.04.17 anyway).

Are you saying that you have files ripped with DVD Cloner software titled “DVD_VIDEO.ISO” that play fine? Because my post specifically asks about files with the name DVD_VIDEO.ISO created by DVD Cloner.

No, since you tried changing the filename to see if it made a difference I renamed one of my rips to demonstrate this is not the case which suggests DVD Cloner **bleep** so you better switch to software that pretty much everyone uses like DVDfab/AnyDVD.

Right. Just like RichUK suggested at the start of this thread. Only he said it much more nicely.