Will it work if I connect the hub to the my pc using the lan

Hi there 

I wanted to set-up my hub 

i want to connect the media hub using the lan to the my computer, as my computer has wireless-N  network

as the media will connect to the internet using the computer’s network shared 

how can i do this ?  as my router is far from the living room

thanks and happy new year

FromSoftware wrote:

Hi there 

I wanted to set-up my hub 

i want to connect the media hub using the lan to the my computer, as my computer has wireless-N  network

as the media will connect to the internet using the computer’s network shared 

how can i do this ?  as my router is far from the living room

thanks and happy new year

I did exactly what you want.  Get yourself an approved USB wireless adapter and plug it into the hub.  My computer found the hub right away.  Here is a list of approved adapters.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3805

You might also find the discovery software helpful to set up the share.  It is found here:

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=1010&sid=110&lang=en

It IS POSSIBLE to talk between a Wireless and Wired (Ethernet) network in your home depending on your hardware (mainly your Gateway box). I was certain that it WOULD NOT, however my computer is NOT hooked up to a wireless connection, whereas my WDTVLIVEHUB is connected using an Asus Wireless “N” USB adapter. This means the Gateway box is allowing cross-talk between the Wired and Wireless networks that it provides inside the same box. Any approved USB adapter will work but shop around. I also highly recommend an “N” adapter which you can find on sale for $15. Approximate Speeds: - Ethernet (wired): 10.5 MBytes/sec - *Wireless: 1.8 MBytes/sec - USB: maximum of 14.5 MBytes/sec *I’m unsure of the differences between wireless hardware. Any wi-fi is probably adequate for all but BluRay which can get up to 5 MBytes/sec. Ethernet would likely only have an issue with 3D BluRay. Summary: Yes. My computer is hooked directly to my Bell Internet Gateway with an Ethernet cable. The WDTVLIVEHUB is also hooked up to the Gateway but using Wireless. So it depends SOLELY on the Internet Gateway that you have enabling crosstalk between its included wireless and wired network.