Will any wireless keyboard work?

Would have tought it might have been asked but when I search and narrow it to WD TV Live Media Player it shows 0 results.

Probably not. It could that any keyboard that is a standard HID may work but its really down to try it and see. If you search the forum using the word keyboard you will what other users have found to work or not.

I have a Logitech Wii wireless keyboard which works fine.

Like Rich, I have as Logitech Wii keyboard that works well with the entire Live range.

I’ve also tested out an Apple wireless keyboard using a Targus ACB10US1 bluetooth adapter, which also works well.

Of the two, the Logitech seems better suited to use as a media player controller (has a dedicated OK button and some other buttons that are missing on the Apple, like Home).  It’s also a lot cheaper!

The rule of thumb is that the device must function without a driver / identify as a generic HID.

Having said that, another user trying to get their Apple wireless KB working failed to do so with a CSR bluetooth dongle, so it’s not 100% certain

I did a search on Amazon for Logitech Wii Cordless Keyboard and the che cheapest one I saw was a used one for $39. And I stopped useing Ebay when they all but banned money orders.

The one I was gonna get is only $15. I don’t even have the WD TV Live yet it comes tomorrow. I was looking at the Iconcepts for $15.

A Logitech MK 250 wireless keyboard will work fine, but make sure you reboot the WDTV Live with the USB connector attached. Good Luck.

Toolman

1 Like

The first time i tryed the logitec MK250, it work fine. But the next time I started it doesnt work anymore.

I’left the usb in it. After rebooting sefferall times, I give up
 :cry:

Hi ‘gerika’,

Make sure you have the latest firmware installed on your Live and that you use the “connect” buttons located on both the underside of your keyboard and the USB device.

‘Pixel Power’ suggested that his favourite method for getting things to work is the “overkill method”. So try the following  to get your Logitech MK 250 to work with your Live:

1. Hard reset (side button). Unit reboots.
  2. Reset to Factory defaults within Settings. Unit reboots. 
  3. Power cycle (unplug device for a few minutes).  Unit reboots.

‘Pixel Power’ also added this comment:

‘This is probably more important when jumping several firmware revisions at a time.  If you never touched a Beta and never had keyboard support before, it probably hasn’t “kicked in” yet.’

Hope this advice helps you, as it worked for my MK 250.

Cheers,

‘Toolman’

I have an old wireless cheap BTC keyboard and mouse. It works well but not the mouse nor an older logitech mouse. Do any mice work, would a touch pad work? I really don’t want to wear out the remote. Also I have tried to use the Android remote control app and can’t seem to follow directions I guess 'cause it won’t work. Any clues?

Jayhi wrote:
I have an old wireless cheap BTC keyboard and mouse. It works well but not the mouse nor an older logitech mouse. Do any mice work, would a touch pad work? I really don’t want to wear out the remote. Also I have tried to use the Android remote control app and can’t seem to follow directions I guess 'cause it won’t work. Any clues?

There’s no mouse support at all.

I’ve used an iPhone app (ZappoTV) successfully with my Hub and Live units, so the issue may lie with the Android app or perhaps a recent firmware update on the Live broke something.  In any case, the workaround would likely have to come from the developer of the app.

Try creating a new topic about Android apps and perhaps someone using the same app will see and be able to help you.  :)

I just went ahead and got a $11 wired mini keyboard.

Boxee remote works well as a wireless keyboard and is wife approved.:wink:

Latest firmware (April 2011) supports a standard USB keyboard as well. Can be plugged into the Media Server port so a USB powered HDD will still work fine without a powered hub. Some minor inconsistencies in the way the cursor keys work in YouTube search screen (won’t go over to Search history) but otherwise brilliant!

Heh
  USB KB’s have been supported a long time!  :)

i bought the iphone app and that works great. better than a keyboard but it is a little restricted