WiFi speed faster than CAT5 ... fixed it somewhat

Hello … I am trying to use two NASs (maybe I should have bought a mirror?). I am running windows 7 on a locally built box (1 yr old) with an EA6500 router (three yrs old). I use Anonymizer.

I noticed that I can access my NAS via my tablet MUCH faster than with my EA6500 with CAT5 cable. Does anyone know why? I did read some of the posts on speed. The techno jargon somewhat overwhelmed me but I did not see anyone who had a tablet access NAS files MUCH faster than through the box.

I turned Anonymizer off and the speed was fast. I checked via speedtest.net, too. I need to send Anonymizer a note. Since the tablet does not go through Anonymizer, it avoids the issue.

How are you determining your WiFi speed on your local network is faster than the EA6500 router’s gigabit network port speed? Speed test sites like speedtest.net DO NOT test your local network speed, rather it tests your broadband speed. Your local network speed is different than your broadband speed.

Generally running any sort of VPN service is bound to impact one’s speed negatively because the traffic is being encrypted on the VPN client prior to being sent to the VPN endpoint where it is decrypted and sent on its way.

Bennor, Thanks for the FYI. I am aware that I pay a “price” for VPN. Is it worth it as opposed to unwanted hacking? If you use VPN which vendor do you use? Mine is from Anonymizer. Or do you have another set-up that accomplishes the same level of security with a lower price for speed?

What “unwanted” hacking have you experienced? If you have a modern router and have its security set up correctly, no one can get into your home network without the router password. I think worrying about getting hacked from someone getting into your network is an urban legend today. The only ones subject to getting hacked do not even have a password-protected router; and there still seems to be plenty of those around…

When I do use a VPN into my local network, which isn’t often, I roll my own using OpenVPN client and a router running third party firmware that supports/runs an OpenVPN server.

The fact is once you open up ports in your router’s firewall you run a risk (even if its miniscule) of allowing a hacker the potential opportunity to enter one’s system, hardware or local network. VPN is a simple method of encrypting one’s traffic to prevent eavesdropping and low level hackers.