Wifi off

Can wifi be turned off ?

WiFi is turned off if you configure the WIRED network.

Physically disabling the WIFI chip or do you mean it just stops using wifi when a wired network is setup ?

Hmmm.  That’s a good question.  

I don’t know the answer to that; and without a WiFi spectrum analyzer, I don’t know how to tell the difference.  :)

WD’s reply

There is a diffenrce though from OFF and “not configured” … do you all agree ?

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is ******.
Yes this is trough since this appliance can only manage 1 internet connection at a time.
The wifi will only work if you do the wifi settings, otherwise no problem.

I asked them to confirm its OFF 

They said : 

No Wifi can only connect if the settings for wireless are done and not is the settings are not in there

WD Reply

Does seem to read like when its not configured its OFF … a switch on the menu woudl be great though.

Please vote here -  http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Ideas/Turn-off-WIFI/idi-p/274482

be interested what a WIFI sniffer woudl find, wonder if its poles looking for a connection ?

Thank you for your reply. The TV Live built-in wireless feature give the convenience to connect to your network wirelessly. Not entering network settings for connecting would then bring the wireless component into disuse. If it isn’t connected to the wireless network it is disabled and no data transfer takes place. If you have any further questions, reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you. 

This setting would be great, in addition and with a similar purpose, it would be great to have a kind of profile setting with Wi-Fi or Wired settings to switch in case you need to, instead of having to re-do the config from scratch (specially for wired).

elbosterix wrote:

This setting would be great, in addition and with a similar purpose, it would be great to have a kind of profile setting with Wi-Fi or Wired settings to switch in case you need to, instead of having to re-do the config from scratch (specially for wired).

It does have a profile setting for wireless.