Wi PiDrive (newbie)

Hi.

I want to buy several PiDrive and apply it on Raspberry PI 3. Is it compatible?

What do I I need for each drive?

1x Enclosure
1x 1TB PiDrive
1x PiDrive

Is there any aditional cable I need that is not includded in the kit?

Can I use any 2.5" or SSD on PIDrive?

Do I need cable: WD 2.5" SATA-to-Raspberry Pi Adapter Board

The page is confuse. Please clarify. Thanks!

Hey there, Antonio.

Basically in order to be able to connect more than one drive to a RPi, you’d need something externally powered e.g. an externally powered USB HUB, or a docking station if you’re talking about SATA drives.

I’m not sure exactly what you mean with “Can I use any 2.5” or SSD on PIDrive?". The PiDrive is a drive itself either the 314GB model or the 1TB model. On the other hand if you are referring to the PiDrive’s enclosure, I guess you might be able to fit a different drive, but please have in mind that it’s made specifically for the PiDrive and a different model might not fit properly.

Not necessarily, if you decide to go with one of my previous suggestions. This is a nice addition, but if you don’t need the extra ports, you won’t need to get it.

Hopefully this makes things a bit clearer, but please don’t hesitate to ask if I’ve missed something or if you have more questions.

Hope that helps.
CK_WD

Pi Drives (314GB and 1TB Versions) are USB not SATA

see this picture ? … it’s a USB 3.0 Connector

http://images.cdn.stuff.tv/sites/stuff.tv/files/styles/big-image/public/brands/Raspberry_Pi/wd_pidrive.jpg?itok=8e298cjj

Hi. Thank you for the replies.

Maybe I didnt explain well.

@CK_WD
I only want one HDD for each PI. Many sets. Its not multiple HDD for a single PI.

@CK_WD @JoeySmyth
About other 2.5" Sata device, I see now I cant use, because PiDrive doesn’t have sata connection.

All I need to know now is what do I need to buy, to get a full working kit?
Is this the correct list?

(1x) Raspberry PI (of course)
(1x) 1TB PiDrive Kit High-Performance SSDs, HDDs, USB Drives, & Memory Cards | Western Digital
(1x) WD PiDrive Enclosure High-Performance SSDs, HDDs, USB Drives, & Memory Cards | Western Digital

Do I need any additional cable?

Also, it it fully compatible with Raspberry PI 3?

Thank you both for the replies.

Oh, sorry about that. It really seems like I’ve misunderstood you.

So, if this is the case, you’re almost correct with what you’ve said - 1x RPi, 1x 1TB PiDrive should be enough. The 1TB PiDrive Kit features an enclosure as well. You should be able to select the type of enclosure you want.

Everything should be compatible, although for RPi 3 it’s recommended that you use a 5V 2.5A power adapter.

Cheers!

Again, thank you for the reply.

The included power adapter is not enough for RPI 3? IF not, maybe WD should upgrade de kit. Everyone buys RPI 3 now.

Is there any promo code avaiable to get some discount on the online shop?
Also, as a company in EU, how can I buy without VAT?

The Pi Drive is not supplied with a Power Supply … it is powered from the one you already have

And for the Raspberry Pi 3 … the Raspberry Pi Foundation Recommend a 5V 2.5A PSU

Nothing to do with Western Digital

@Antonio_Cruz1, the power adapter should be sufficient for the PiDrive and RPi 3, however if you have other peripherals as well, which might make the setup a bit more power hungry, it might be necessary for you to get a 5V 2.5A power adapter.

Thanks for the feedback, we really do appreciate it.

Sorry, but currently there are no discounts available apart from the products/devices that have already been discounted in the online store.

If you are a reseller/tax exempt/etc. you can place an order and then email the order number and a copy of the certificate or other documents that prove the reseller/tax exempt status and the VAT will be refunded. There’s no way to remove the tax/VAT before the order. Here’s some more info - Online store help. Please refer to the “How do I get my tax refunded if I am a reseller or government purchaser?” question.

Let me know if there’s anything else. :slight_smile:

You are right about that, but only if we’re talking about the PiDrive alone. However I’m under the impression that @Antonio_Cruz1 is looking to get the 1TB PiDrive kit, which has a 5V 2A power adapter included. :slight_smile:

Cheers guys! :wink:

Thank you for all replies.

I will buy it now. Thanks!!!

EDIT: Already bought it: 1TB Pidrive Kit + black enclosure.

Will I get the charger with EU plug?

@CK_WD taxes were automatically excluded when I entered the vat number.

You should get it with the right plug for the country you’ve ordered it for when you’ve selected it from the store.

Congrats on the new PiDrive Kit and looks like it went even better than expected with the VAT.

Let me know how it is when you give it a try once you receive it. :wink:

Thank you for the reply.

One last thing:

I bought 1 kit, but its on trial.

I am developing open source hardware that will use the pidrive and raspberry pi 3 (among others).

Can WD provide me the 3D cad file for the drive itself? Just a step file. I want to include it in my solidworks project.

Thanks.

If this is not the correct place to ask, please tell me where can I get the file. Thanks!

Well, I’ll check what can be done about it and I’ll get back to you. :slight_smile:

Thank you. I’l wait for it.

Just to make sure we all understand, what I requested is the drive itself, not the enclosure.

Or maybe drive + enclosure + cables, who knows :slight_smile:

Thanks!

@CK_WD Did you get the 3D file for the HDD?

My project is in developing at the moment. Thanks!

Hey again. I’m glad to hear that your project is in development. :slight_smile:

Please check your PM box. You should have a message from me there. I’ve sent it about a month ago. :wink:

I am so sorry. I have never readed your message. There should be some kind of notification about the new message.

Replied.

Best Regards

No worries. However, you should be getting notifications for PMs - a green circle next to your avatar in the upper right corner with a number in it (indicating the number of the messages). You could also go to your profile and preferences and change the settings so that you get e-mail notifications as well if you want. :slight_smile:

Any chance of a copy of that CAD file here too, please? I’m designing the case for a project which will include the PiDrive and it is useful to have the CAD files for the components to make sure that they all fit!

Hi, sorry for the delay. I’ll find the CAD file and post it, hopefully tomorrow.

Hi, here’s the 3D CAD file (.stp format) for our PiDrive 7mm-height (250GB, 314GB, 375GB). Our PiDrive 1TB is 9.5mm in height but otherwise has the same mounting dimensions as the 7mm (screw locations, connector location and footprint).

Sorry for the delay!