Why wont MyPassport drive let me open files on different computer?

First problem:

i cannot use the external hard drive like a normal flash drive where i can plug into a computer and look at any of the files i have on there. i have one computer for home use (windows xp) and another netbook for school (windows 7) because it is lighter. i have many movies and albums on my drive so i would like to have access to it. Even if i put documents such as word files, i do not have access to both sometimes depending which computer i saved the file on.

second problem: i have two files currently locked. i know it is locked because on the Windows 7 there is a lock on the folder of the icon. and in the windows xp it appears as empty and wont allow me access to the folder. how would i make it so that the drive recognizes both computers or maybe all computers just by inputing the password to the drive.

1 Like

The files you may have to change the permissions in Windows 7 for files created there. Vista and windows 7 can be cranky on sharing. You’ll may have to do the same with XP. On the locked files they may be system files. One is probably system volume information. Go into folder options and check Hide Protected System files and see what that doed.

Joe

they both hav different security settings and wont let me unlock the drive completely on both computers

1 Like

I have a similar problem.   My computer crashed, lucky I had everything freshly saved onto and backed up on my  WD essentials 1tb hard drive.

After installing new HDD in my PC with same OS (WinXP pro) and I can see the external drive, can open it in explorer and see all files and folders in the root, but can NOT open any files or folders without the message saying that the file of folder is unaccessible, eg: 
H:\MOBILEPHONEBACKUP is not accessible.
Access is denied
(then has the “OK” button underneath)

Here is the message I sent them via the tech support thing:

Hi, using windows XP, and windows explorer I can see the files and folders listed for my 1tb External hard drive (WDH1U10000A ) but I am unable to access them.

Whenever I click a file or folder I just get a message that says the fole of folder is unaccessible, eg: 
H:\MOBILEPHONEBACKUP is not accessible.
Access is denied
(then has the “OK” button underneath)

I suspect this may be due to my PC crashing. I have managed to reinstall  XP onto my desktop PC but I am unable to open my backup files contained on the external drive.

I also tried to access them using my new laptop with WIN7 home premium, but everytime I connect the drive I get a message popup which tells me that the drive needs to be formatted.

Please advise what I can do to recover my files.