Why skip files in-use?

Google Drive backups everthing even files that you’re using, but the “Continuous Backup” option skips files that are in use.

If I started working on 9AM and did not turn off the software, say Indesign, my INDD file will be copied to GDrive server continuously. If Indesign crashes at 5PM, I can use the 4.45PM version on Gdrive server, but on my “My Cloud”, the newest version I have is yesterday’s version!!

And you know what ? The reason I bought a NAS is " capacity" (you can imagine the struggle if you use the 25GB Gdrive for backing up artworks, your storage will be full in a month or two).

My current solution is, let Gdrive backup my work ( slowly , via the internet connection) and let WD NAS backup just my archive folders ( quickly , but the ironic of that is I don’t need much speed for backing up archive folders).

Is it possible to add an option to ignore the in-use files check ? Just backup!! Thank you in advance.

Hi,

Currently, we don’t have an option on the unit that allows you to skip those files.

Perhaps some other user have a work around on that.

PJSOFT wrote:

Google Drive backups everthing even files that you’re using, but the “Continuous Backup” option skips files that are in use.

If I started working on 9AM and did not turn off the software, say Indesign, my INDD file will be copied to GDrive server continuously. If Indesign crashes at 5PM, I can use the 4.45PM version on Gdrive server, but on my “My Cloud”, the newest version I have is yesterday’s version!!

And you know what ? The reason I bought a NAS is " capacity" (you can imagine the struggle if you use the 25GB Gdrive for backing up artworks, your storage will be full in a month or two).

My current solution is, let Gdrive backup my work ( slowly , via the internet connection) and let WD NAS backup just my archive folders ( quickly , but the ironic of that is I don’t need much speed for backing up archive folders).

Is it possible to add an option to ignore the in-use files check ? Just backup!! Thank you in advance.

Hi PJSOFT,

The capability that you are referring to would be shadow copy.  Because the file exists on Google’s server, they can shadow copy their storage for you.  You can also do this in Windows.  The My Cloud will shadow copy files that are in use once every 24 hours via the SmartWare software.  We do this because of the feature that Windows has built-in already.