Why is transferring so slow?

Just wondering why transferring files to the Hub is so slow. I did one movie throught my network and it took like 20 mins…almost the same if I hook a USB to it.

The HUB is processor-bound.

The interface is a Realtek 10/100/1000 Ethernet PHYCeiver, but it depends on the SIGMA processor to move data back and forth.  

The SIGMA ain’t really cut out for the job.

ah, good to know. Guess its a copy all the movies over night while I’m sleeping kinda deal.

Yes it is a launch and forget thing.

So does a 9.35MB/s transfer rate sound about right? I’m copying over 55GB worth of files…9 files.

Is there anyway to speed it up? Do you need a different cable to take advantage of the gigabyte transfer or whatever that is?

Yeah ~10 Megabytes per second is the practical limit.  Changing a cable won’t fix it…   It’s just the processor is too slow for Samba to be very efficient…

Isn’t Vice86’s 9.35MB/s transfer 72Mbps…which is under 100Mbps but you figure overhead, etc for Enet.  Thus, while RealTek may be GigE I wonder if Vice86’s network is GigE ?

Anyway, not saying blazing speed and agree for video files it is a fire-n-forget effort…but don’t think the #s are too offbase even with Sigma SoC.

Just got our Live Hub and hooked it up to our 100% Gigabit LAN.  It’s looking like it’ll end up taking around 40 hours to transfer our 650GB of content from a PC on the LAN to the Live Hub’s internal drive.

I usually get 40+ MB/sec transfer rates at a minimum when going from PC to PC, but transfer to the Live Hub is averaging 4.6 MB/sec.  Is that really just because of the Live Hub’s processor??  If so, wow…that’s impressively bad.  Why would WD even bother with Gigabit if that’s the case?

CRA1G wrote:

Just got our Live Hub and hooked it up to our 100% Gigabit LAN.  It’s looking like it’ll end up taking around 40 hours to transfer our 650GB of content from a PC on the LAN to the Live Hub’s internal drive.

I usually get 40+ MB/sec transfer rates at a minimum when going from PC to PC, but transfer to the Live Hub is averaging 4.6 MB/sec.  Is that really just because of the Live Hub’s processor??  If so, wow…that’s impressively bad.  Why would WD even bother with Gigabit if that’s the case?

People grumbled when the Live only had a 100Mbit Ethernet port, more so when the Plus again had that “limitation”.

My guess is WD included it just so it looked good in the spec list.

The highest sustained transfer I’ve seen reported on the forum is 15MB/sec. I used to get around 5-6MB/sec via N wifi, so 4.6MB/sec seems unusually slow for a GbE connection, might be room for improvement there.

I get about the same 9-10 when transfering over network… but when I transfered to hub with usb, i got about twice that…