Why is the SD card import so slow?

Yes, a small number seems to ga faster, and also go for perfomance but with my testings from 16GB and up to 64GB it’s when the perfomance suffers as well as with battery mode. Could be some “inhouse” things that the MPW tries to do with those files and when the numbers are many itcan’t keep up… can’t confirme that, just jnow it goes to slow to be usefull with larger number of files in eiter setting.

Tallblondie wrote:

WD is aware of the problems because I have taked with them. Hoping for a quick fix soon.

Any update on this? Have you talked to them again?

The reliability of the SD backup is critical for me, and I won’t always be able to run the MPW on external power.

Only that they are working to try to fix this via firmware,

I noticed that the newest firmware update addressed:

1. Resolved issue of entering standby mode during SD card transfer

2. Revised SD card transfer algorithm for faster transfer speed

Has this helped the transfer rate?

If so, How long does it now take to transfer a 64GB high speed card?

Will test it today if my ISP is ready after some maintinance work that started yesterday.

Look here at the last post for a test:  http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Passport-Wireless/Mainly-a-SD-card-transfer-test-and-other-thoughts/td-p/807195/page/2

It appears I’m in the same boat.  I have mine set up to automatically download from the SD card when I stick it in the slot.  Works fine but is extremely slow to download.  64gb fast card.  20mp Canon camera.  1400 raw files from this morning…about 33gbs worth.  Three hours later, had only downloaded 225 raw files.  The battery was half gone.  This thing appears totally worthless for its intended use. 

JimSanderson wrote:

It appears I’m in the same boat.  Three hours later, had only downloaded 225 raw files.  The battery was half gone.

DO make sure that you have upgraded to the latest firmware. It makes a BIG difference in transfer speed and battery usage.

The MPW should transfer at 10 to 15 MB/s at least. So if you had 33 GB of files;

33000 MB /(10 * 60) = 55 minutes

33000 MB /(15 * 60) = 37 minutes approximately

It sounds like you have an earlier firmware installed. Get the latest version 1.03.13.

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Passport-Wireless/New-Release-My-Passport-Wireless-Firmware-Version-1-03-13-11-17/td-p/826335

Upgrade to latest Firmware does make quite a difference. Default firmware (1.2.xx) was less than 7MB/s. Currently have 1.03.13 (wasn’t able to install through Mac, but Windows 7 worked fine (both by installing software on SD-card)) and it is up to 11MB/s. (For my tests I used SanDisks 32GB 45MB/s and 80MB/s SD-cards.)

Am curious to know what I have to do to get to the specified 24MB/s. Anyone any idea?

I am very disappointed with my purchase of this unit. Like many others I purchased it to backup SD-Cards in the field without the need for accessing a desktop/laptop.

Testing it tonight, transferring 10.3GB of RAW image files from a Lexar 600x SD-Card has been nothing but painful. After 50 minutes it is still transferring files!!!

10-20 Minutes I could live with, but 50 and still counting is just beyond ridiculous. This is absolutely useless as a on the go backup solution for photographers, which the addition of a card reader would suggest that it is aimed at photographers, who else would need card capability?

If I can find the packaging it came in, I am definitely going to attempt to get a refund on it and invest in a cheap laptop or similar, even if I have to combine it with an external USB HDD it is still going to be more functional then this “brick”.

Any updates on the speed of transfer from sd cards to hd. Plan on using sd ultra SDHC and sd ultra plus us

Want to use in the field hd possible being charged by car charger and/or battery pack

Can anyone help me out please

Need response asap

Hi, I’ve had this product for about a month now and have not had any of the problems listed above.
I’ve been transferring large HD video files from 64Gb micro SD.
However, I have come across an issue that has an impact on the transfer rate.
Initially (days 1 & 2 of my trip) the transfer of around 50Gb took 20 - 30 minutes.
However as the trip progressed the transfer time went up to about an hour.
When I got home I anticipated around 350 Gb of data would have been stored but found there was over 900Gb.
When I looked at the data stored, I saw that the device had stored day 1 no problem. On day 2 it stored the new data and created a back up (copy) of day 1.
By day 6 it was creating a 5th back up copy of day 1 in addition to the new data.
Although I’m not entirely sure, I assume this explains why my transfer times were increasing as the week went on.
So in answer to your question, the slowest speed for 50 + Gb was around an hour.
Has anyone any idea how to stop it creating repeated ‘back up’ copies ?

I just received my unit today, and the first thing I did was test the SD card transfer rate. 219 24Mb RAW files (total 7.1GB) transferred in under 10 minutes. I checked from my PC to make sure all the files actually did transfer (they did). In my opinion that’s plenty fast enough for doing nightly backups when you’re shooting on location.

Hardly seems worth asking after reading how slow it appears to be but…

I am (or maybe now ‘was’) considering a My Passport Wireless Pro for backing up memory cards. I use SDHC UHS-II cards (eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OD71AYQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) - is the card reader compatible? The specs do not specify

Just turned my new unit on and was trying to transfer videos off my SanDisk Extreme Plus card and seem to have a few issues.

First it should be know the unit is plugged in to AC. Not running on battery.

1. I used my App on iPhone and started the “move” process and it seem to not complete the move. It almost seemed that I had to keep the App on the phone active?? The video file that did make it was unreadable / playable. Since original was still on SD card I tried and was able to play it there so I deleted all files that seem to partially make it and thought I would try again.

2. Thought I would try using my computer so I accessed the SD card on one window and the WD Storage space on another window… I am trying a copy now and my transfer rates are about 5.5 to below 3 MB/s according to Windows??

The video files are a little over 3,900,000 KB in size and I am trying to copy only 3 over now and it says it will take over 45 minutes??

The SD card is a: SanDisk - Extreme PLUS 128GB microSDXC UHS-I Class 10 Memory Card

So first question is the App the we use on our phones, do they start a process that requires the phone app to stay on and the app to stay active during the copy or move??

Second, what transfer rates should I expect? 5.5 to 3 BM/s seems very slow.?

Third, If I were to use the app and say copy or move only one of the 3,900,000 KB files over from the SD Card, how long should it take?

Maybe my expectations are too high??

Thanks
Rich

UPDATE:

I ejected the SD card and used an INSIGNIA USB 3 Card Reader into my Microsoft Surface Pro 3 with the same SD card and the transfer rate is not jumping from 3.5 to 12.5 MB/s with an estimated 16 min completion, nope it jumped to est 26 min completion. Ok now an ECT of 29 min. Now it dropped to an ECT of 20 min… I’m aborting the test.

I plugged the INSIGNIA USB 3 Card Reader into the USB port of the WD unit and it seems faster and is matching the rates I had on my computer over WiFi to the unit.

Transfer rate is not bouncing around as much and is hovering at around 6 MB/s with an ECT of 30 min.

I highlighted for copy the same 5 files of which 3 are MP4 files again at a little over 3.9 GB each. The total set is reported at 11.5 (12.6) GB when I check properties. ECT is now at 35 min with transfer rate peaking at 7 MB/s and dropping to 4.3 MB/s.

This does seem to be faster than the built in SD card reader… It should be noted that with the built in reader I have to use a SanDisk MicoSD adapter and with the INSIGNIA USB 3 Card Reader I can plug the MicroSD straight into it without the adapter.

OK now at 36% ECT 19 min transfering at about 4.3 to 6.3 MB/s

The MicroSD card I have:

https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-cards/microsd-cards/extremeplus-microsd

States Up to 95MB/s read speed and up to 90MB/s write speed5

Now I have to research what is reasonable / realistic transfer rates.

It does seems that the internal reader is slower and I think I read that it actually is sharing a USB 2 connection?? So for now the external reader I have is a bit faster.

Maybe I can find an even better card reader that would allow for faster rates. What is obvious is that something is not right and its a bit disappointing.