Why is nothing ever simple ?! - Safepoints

Okay.

I have a loaded my book. Time to ensure I protect it I thought.

Clicked the create safepoint and it merrily shows me lots of places I could put it. All padlocked asking usernames and paswords the likes of which I have never set  - ever.

So I tried setting some - didn’t work.

I have a seperate backup harddrive pluuged to PC. I checked and its access rights are all open and unlimited , I can see it on pc etc etc. I changed its name and the my book create safepoint page saw the changed name - remove padlock ? no. nothing has.

So I gave up. And spotted USB backup option mentioned in help. Great a quick option. Can I find it no?

It says : 

To create a safepoint on a local USB device, open the Create section of the Safepoints page and click Local USB.

And what do you do when you can see the usb phyiscally, your pc can see the usb, everything on flippin planet can see the usb but alas the my book can’t or at least I certainly have no option at all to ‘click local usb’. its not ehre.

I guess like the other person with same problem - I’ll just give up here !

devonjon wrote:

And what do you do when you can see the usb phyiscally, your pc can see the usb, everything on flippin planet can see the usb but alas the my book can’t 

The MBL doesn’t have USB.   Yes, the tooltip is incorrect (because it’s using the same User Interface as the My Book Live Duo which DOES have USB.)

As far as the “Locked” icon goes, it will show that icon if the host system says the share requires credentials to access it.   In many cases, you can use use *ANY* credintials…  something like

User Name:  blahblahblah

Password:  typeanythingyouwant

If that doesn’t work, then your server is refusing access – regardless of how you configured it.

I don’t understand all the issues with safepoint. Yesterday I updated the firmware on my router where I store the safepoint on a USB drive on the network. This requires me to always start a new safepoint due to some changes that usually occur.

I always make sure I set the same Workgroup for my home network which matches the MBL Workgroup. To ensure auto backups work, I ssh into the MBL and remove any old backup info (/DataVolume/WDPROT/WDSAFE/safepts). Then I remove the old backup files on the USB and start a new safepoint.

As far as user credentials on the USB drive, I make sure I enter the router username/password when I create the safepoint. Seems to work for me!