Why does My Passport take so long to backup 250 GB?

Based on my experience, if I directly copy D: drive (250 GB) into external HDD, which usually take 4 hours to finish, but for WD, this is my first time for backup, it takes more than 5 hours and only copy 70 GB files.

Does anyone have any suggestions on why it takes so long for backup?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

The back up process takes place when your computer is in idle mode. Smartware prioritize files w/ smaller size first. Make sure that your comp sleep mode is turned off then leave the comp open for 24 hours.

Also there are supported and not supported files that smartware back’s up

trythesefirst wrote:

The back up process takes place when your computer is in idle mode. Smartware prioritize files w/ smaller size first. Make sure that your comp sleep mode is turned off then leave the comp open for 24 hours.

Before updating software, I find an option to perform backup not requiring my computer in idle mode, after the software is updated, this option is gone, and would like to know how to perform backup not requiring my computer in idle mode.  Furthermore, the way how Smartware works does not meet my requirement, I cannot backup my norton ghost image (17 GB) into passport, is there any approach to work it out this issue?

If I don’t use smartware for backup, can I copy and paste files directly into passport for backup?

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks you very much for any suggestions

Yes, you can manually copy files to your drive. All I know is that smartware does the back up in idle mode. The initial back up only backs up files w/ the smallest size. Regarding the norton ghost I think it is not supported file type by smartware. Just do a manual copy paste instead.

trythesefirst wrote:

Yes, you can manually copy files to your drive. All I know is that smartware does the back up in idle mode. The initial back up only backs up files w/ the smallest size. Regarding the norton ghost I think it is not supported file type by smartware. Just do a manual copy paste instead.

I format my passport and copy and paste all backup files manually with no problem, but I would like to know on how to add password to encrypt my passport, after I format my passport, all softwares come with this HDD are gone, could you please tell me where I can download it?

Thanks you very much for any suggestions

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?level1=2&lang=en

Choose the drive model and download wd security

yes  just ran into this myself and after a week of password **bleep** not working onwork compuiter (need admimistrator access) Now back up software seems useless. Not impreesed at all with this drive.  only good for copy and paste if you ask me.