Why Does HDMI setting keep getting dropped?

Hi,

I am on **Release 1.06.15 (8/9/2011)**. Using with Sony Bravia KDL-52v4100

Everything was working just fine and now out of the blue the HDMI no longer works.

Troubleshooting:

1. Tried different cable

2. Tried different hdmi input on the TV.

3. Tried restting everyhting.

Symptoms:

Set the audio/video to 1080p 60hz, rgb

After it gets set it will go for a while and then magically drop the hdmi and revert to

compsite PAL.

Absolutley goofy since I am not in the UK and when it does this I have to go dig out the 

composite or component cable so I can try and reset back to hdmi.

Bout ready to chuck the wdhd through the window.

Any ideas/help greatly appreciated.

I have the exact same problem. Took the update and now no hdmi output. i hooked up the av cable and i do get it there. 

this needs to be fixed - SOON!

we can’t be the only 2 people with this problem!  sometimes hdmi works, most of the time is doesn’t. i will try to revert back to another firmware.

tonyfac wrote:

we can’t be the only 2 people with this problem!  sometimes hdmi works, most of the time is doesn’t. i will try to revert back to another firmware.

+1 same problems here too “tonyfac did you have any luck trying other firmware?..”

I’ve been having this problem sporadically for some months now… since I got the TVLive+ back around the beginning of the year. No rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes it loses it’s HDMI setting upon booting, sometimes just when sitting there idle. I too have to use the composite cable to get to a menu to restore HDMI settings. Also, sometimes my video goes sort of pink if the machine has just been sitting on for a while… no idea if that’s related. So, in other words, no you’re not alone.

So I take the lack of response from anybody employed by WD meaning they dont care or have no clue whats going on.

hdmi**bleep** wrote:

So I take the lack of response from anybody employed by WD meaning they dont care or have no clue whats going on.

Well, if you’d read the stuff that you were asked to agree to, you would have seen that this is a user-to-user forum. WD just moderates it, for the most part.

If you wanted answers from tech support, you could have contacted tech support.

Hi, i was getting this problem too

1 day it was ok, then another day it like it forgot my setting even the hdmi sound settings said not supported…

anyway after trying a 7metre hdmi cable from pc to tv and failing (long story) i decided to try the long cable on

wdtvlive ““BINGO”” works a treat no pink menus and sound detected as well …

well i hope i have’nt spoke to soon lols but heres the cable brand [Pluscom - SKU:HHL-7M 19 pins gold plated ver 1.3] i found at ebay mainy a guy calls himself/shop ‘safecom’ and very cheap to boot :wink: hope this might help some one else

ikbaa,

The real issue is that people are not prepared to calibrate their digital TV HDMI ports. Digital TV HDMI calibration has been thoroughly addressed by professional video engineers on various home theatre forums on the internet. If people followed the manufacturers’ instructions, there would be no issues with the WDTV Live signal.

Digital signals cannot perceive the difference between the brands of HDMI cable. Lengths being equal; a $5.00 HDMI certified cable will work just as effectively as a $250 HDMI certified cable. The only difference between the two cables is the psychology of the hip pocket nerve.

You removed the cable from your digital TV HDMI port and plugged it back in. That forced the digital TV HDMI port to recalibrate.

thepanoguy wrote:

That forced the digital TV HDMI port to recalibrate.

I think the term is Re-negotiate or re-sync, not re-calibrate…

You removed the cable from your digital TV HDMI port and plugged it back in. That forced the digital TV HDMI port to recalibrate.

nope i tried remove/replace other cable loads of times made no difference… deffo the different brand cable dude :wink:

plus i tried to swap back just mins ago to prove if only to myself… and with the old lead pink screen was back straight away GO pluscom i say lmfao

To everyone that has posted in this thread…You are definitely not alone! These HDMI problems have been going on for over a year now. I have seen all of the problems mentioned in this thread posted here many times before.

When you plug in the HDMI cable, the WD box tries to auto-negotiate with your TV to determine how to set up the video output. If you have a TV that is not compatible with this auto-negotiation, or if you have an older TV that does not support auto-negotiation, then you will have the problems that have been reported in this thread.

I have an older Plasma TV that does not support auto-negotiation. Every time I turn the WD box on the HDMI output is frequently set to a resolution that my TV does not support. I have to use the composite output to see the video in order to get to the WD setup. I set the output to 1080i,60 Hz and RGB Low, however the box does not remember these settings. The next time I power the box on, the same thing happens.

Also, while the WD box is just sitting there idling on the home screen, it will change the color space value all by itself resulting in a pink screen. It changes the color space from RGB Low to YCbCr all by itself! I have to go back in to the setup to change the color space back to RGB Low.

If the WD box would just remember the video settings that you set manually, instead of trying to auto-negotiate, most of the problems reported in this thread would disappear. I am hoping that WD will address this issue before abandoning firmware support on the Live/Live Plus.