Why do rtf files download instead of opening?

I’m enjoying my My Cloud Mirror but I have questions about accessing it from another computer, using the mycloud.com website.
I see all my files, but when I click on an rtf file it downloads instead of just opening. I have the correct applications.

Hi, as far as I remember that is the way that is suppose to work after WD removed the ability to map the drive. Maybe another user will be able to provide some information and see if its possible to open the file without having to download it.

Is this really true? I find it hard to believe that this is not a huge issue for people. Doesn’t anyone want to be able to access files remotely without having to download the file???
Is this really the way it is and nothing to be done about it? Wow. Had I known this I would never have purchased this device. Is it this way with all networked storage?

By the way, Thank you for your reply Lluna!!

Have you tried opening it with the My Cloud MOBILE app?

Hi Mike,
I have now used the mobile app on my ipad. Because backing up my macbook has been a challenge using time machine, I’ve decided to use the wdsync application to keep files current and redundant.
As I described earlier, if I access any files remotely from another computer, I have to download anything in order to view it.
Using my ipad I am able to directly view a file. I’d still like to be able to do the same from another computer, since I seldom work from an ipad.

Another more troubling issue is that when I use WDSync with my ipad, I get a nice view of folders and files. ANY Folder that I click on will say “there’s nothing here yet”, although I know those folders are full of files.
On the other hand, if I click on any file (that is NOT in a folder) it will open the file directly whether it is music, video, text, etc.
The reason I use WDSync is that TimeMachine does not work well and I can’t find a good way to back up. WDSync should keep redundant copies of the most current version of any file.
Any suggestions to help out with either of the above issues would be greatly appreciated!
Dan

Can’t be much help, because I can access My Cloud from any Windows PC in house and edit stuff. I never installed or used mycloud.com to use NAS remotely from another computer. I don’t use WD Sync. basically, my MC is a repository for my media files, and all them are accessible remotely from my iPhone/iPad/Kindle HD, so I am happy.

I have heard of the issue of trying to edit files remotely needing to be downloaded, so perhaps this is SOP.