Why did I get this WD error message at boot?

Today when I booted my PC, I got the error message “Event Source:  Service Control Manager
Event ID:    7034
The WD File Management Engine service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).”

I’m thinking the WD refers to the Western Digital Passport Essential SE I have installed via USB to do weekly backups of my two hard drives.

Can anyone help me figure out what the cause of this is?

Hi there, that’s the WDFME process that Smartware uses for backups, the first thing I would do would be to reinstall the software, if the error goes on then I would check why my computer is killing the process on startup…

I’m a little confused by your answer because I’m jusing Ghost 15 to do my backups. I just checked my installed programs and WD Smartware is there. What is it’s function if I’m not using WD software to perform the backups?

If you are using Ghost 15 to do your backups, then, if you have a My Book or Passport HDD with WD SmartWare backup software you can disable it since you don’t need it.

A VCD is a virtual CD embedded in your hard drive with the WD SmartWare Backup Software.

You can find the information to disable the VCD in the link below.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3835/session/L3RpbWUvMTMwMDkyOTY2Ny9zaWQveWROeHRIcGs…