Why Compilling media library all the time

Why does it say Compilling media library all the time, is this normal. Do I have to switch between local and networked media shares or is there a way to have it compile both.

It shouldn’t say it all the time.

On My NAS (with over 1000 movie titles, 13,000 photos, and 4000 some-odd music tracks) it takes no more than 15 to 20 minutes to compile it all.

If yours is getting “Stuck,” then it might be having problems compiling a specific title.

You can track this down quite simply.

In your Shared NAS, go into main Shared folder and “Hide” ALL the subfolders EXCEPT ONE by preceding their names with a “.”

Such as, change:

My Movies

to

.My Movies

This will prevent the hub from seeing that folder or anything in it.

Completely shutdown the Hub and start it up again.

Let it compile.

Does it finish compiling?   If so, do step A.   If Not, do Step B.

A)   Remove the preceding “.” from one more folder, then repeat the above.

B)   Place a “.” in front of the one folder you did NOT put it on.   Then remove the “.” from a different folder, and the above.

You have found the folder containing the offending file when the folder WITHOUT a preceding “.” has been added, and the hub then won’t finish compiling.

No, you have to switch between NETWORK and LOCAL storage.  There’s not a way to view them simultaneously.

The local storage on the WD hub will not let me put a . in front of the folder, it say you must type a file name.

Ok, you confused me.

Your first post said you toggle between NETWORK shares and local.   I assumed your issue was with NETWORK shares.

So, which compiliation is causing the issue?   the compile of the LOCAL storage, or the compile of the network shares?

Why?  Cuz these things don’t seem to work, see this locked 27 page thread…

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Help-Hub-powers-up-WD-light-flashes-then-powers-itself-off/td-p/104158

Fisherguy wrote:

Why?  Cuz these things don’t seem to work, see this locked 27 page thread…

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Help-Hub-powers-up-WD-light-flashes-then-powers-itself-off/td-p/104158

That’s irrelevant.  That’s not what’s going on here.

Both local and network shares never finish compiling, every time I got either one it says compiling and never goes away, What is the name of the  file with all the list of movies and what DIR is it in ?

Also the light flashes all the time, never goes off.

If you logged on to your network shares once, then the most likely reason for it to keep trying to compile is becasuse of the network shares, even if the files that you are trying to view is on the local drive.

Here’s the easiest way to figure out if it’s your network shares that is causing it to keep compiling.  On the HUB, go to Setup, then Network Settings, then Clear Login Info for Network Share.

Once you have cleared the Login info,  see if it stops trying to compile the library.  If it does stop, then the problem is in your network shares, if it doesn’t then first try unplugging the power cord, then plugging it back in.  Then once the main menu screen comes up, give it about 5 to 10 min (it shouldn’t take that long) and see if it stops compiling.

This will at least narrow thing down.

None of that worked. Does it matter how I have my DIR set up, I have a folder for each movie catagory. Like action drama and chick flicks.

Nope… It doesn’t matter.   

If you say “None of that worked,” then that implies that it won’t even compile an empty drive??

Did you try unplugging the network cable or Wifi?

I will try that, i did unplug the power a few times. That should be the same right ?

No, unplugging the network cable  will keep the HUB from trying to connect to your network shares.