Why can't I play ts or tp files? I thought it supported them?

here’s the MediaInfo details of one of them.

Format                           : MPEG-TS
File size                        : 238 MiB
Duration                         : 3mn 56s
Overall bit rate                 : 8 441 Kbps

Video
ID                               : 481 (0x1E1)
Menu ID                          : 1 (0x1)
Format                           : MPEG Video
Format version                   : Version 2
Format profile                   : Main@High
Format settings, BVOP            : Yes
Format settings, Matrix          : Default
Format_Settings_GOP              : M=3, N=15
Duration                         : 3mn 55s
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 7 695 Kbps
Nominal bit rate                 : 8 000 Kbps
Width                            : 1 920 pixels
Height                           : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate                       : 30.000 fps
Resolution                       : 8 bits
Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
Scan type                        : Interlaced
Scan order                       : Bottom Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.124
Stream size                      : 216 MiB (91%)

Audio
ID                               : 482 (0x1E2)
Menu ID                          : 1 (0x1)
Format                           : AC-3
Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
Duration                         : 3mn 56s
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 160 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L R
Sampling rate                    : 44.1 KHz
Stream size                      : 4.50 MiB (2%)
Language                         : English

Doesn’t look anything wrong with that file.  Does it say “unsupported format” when you try and play it?  Can you play other files in the same folder?

yeah, I get a “unable to play the selected file. please refer to the user manual for a list of supported file formats” message.

I can play other files in the folder fine.

Hmmm, that’s weird.  Neither the format nor the container sound odd to me.

Short of posting it for others to try I’m not sure what you can do (of course, you can always use ffmpeg (freeware) to change it to something the Live will like).

shouldn’t Live like it as it is?

Should, but unless someone else tries it you can’t rule out something peculiar with your setup.

I can rename .tp files to.mpg and they’ll play but no such luck with .ts

[http://rapidshare.com/files/302410396/\_MV\_\_SNSD\_-\_Chocolate\_Love\_\_\_Ver.\_2\_\_\_kenhnghenhac.net\_\_\_Mnet\_.ts.html](http://rapidshare.com/files/302410396/_MV SNSD-Chocolate_Love_ Ver.2 kenhnghenhac.net Mnet.ts.html)

this is one of the files that won’t play. it plays fine im wmp though.

can someone try that file?

simonpink wrote:

can someone try that file?

Have you got anything smaller.

It plays just fine for me – however, the first thing I did was change all the ■■■■ in the name to just “Chocolate_Love.ts”.

My hunch is it’s the filename – as a very general rule, you shouldn’t have all that internet download name ■■■■ for any file.

I should also note that the video made me feel VERY old – I have no problems with music I don’t like, but I didn’t get any point to any of this (do they like chocolate?  Or phones colored that way?  If it’s people, I saw no men or women who could be remotely described that way.  It actually appeared they loved their fans more than anything else).

they’re a S. Korean pop group. watching videos by those girls is a guilty pleasure of mine.

I change the names on them too.

what could it be that’s preventing them from playing? something on my pc? a problem with the media server?

They were on my WIn 7 machine – don’t know why that would make a difference (I guess I could transfer the file over to my XP machine and see if it’s anything there but I can’t even think of a reason that would be a problem).

I’m running the latest firmware, if that makes a difference (so if you aren’t make sure you upgrade).  Other than that I’m out of ideas (this afternoon I can try it on my other Live, which hasn’t been updated yet, but right now I’m going to eat lunch :>)

I’m using xp and the firmware on my Live is up to date.

It played on my XP machine just fine as well.

So you’re saying you renamed it something very simple, like just Chocolate.ts?  Then I’m all outta ideas.

Hey Simon,

What media server are you using?

I tried this with TVersity and, although it “played”, the screen was blank and there was no audio.

Was going to test via Network Share (as I think Mike has been doing) but my Share PC has decided to drop off the network (I hasten to add that it’s not due to the Live, simply Vista being rubbish). :frowning:

-edit-

Got my network shares back up.  Same issue:  blank screen, no sound but file is apparently “playing” (shows file length and time progresses).

Used tsMuxerGUI to demux the audio/video streams.  Then used MKVmergeGUI to place them in an MKV container.

Audio and video plays fine in an MKV container.

1 Like

I counted approximately 109 characters.  Windows has a length limitation of about 127 or so.  Renaming may make the difference.

I’ll take using tsmuxer as a fix for now. still a bit of a pain, though.

I bought it so I wouldn’t need to do that anymore. I got so sick of virtually nothing streaming through my xbox without needing to be demuxed or transcoded first.

thanks for all of your help!

Nah, I wouldn’t use txMuxer for this – that’s *way* overkill.

FIrst just try mkvmerge (freeware) to convert to an MKV.  Quick, fast and painless.

simonpink wrote:

I can rename .tp files to.mpg and they’ll play but no such luck with .ts

[http://rapidshare.com/files/302410396/\_MV\_\_SNSD\_-\_Chocolate\_Love\_\_\_Ver.\_2\_\_\_kenhnghenhac.net\_\_\_Mnet\_.ts.html](http://rapidshare.com/files/302410396/_MV SNSD-Chocolate_Love_ Ver.2 kenhnghenhac.net Mnet.ts.html)

this is one of the files that won’t play. it plays fine im wmp though.

I downloaded your file and it plays perfectly on my WDTV Live. I did not change the file name or do anything other than select it and play. I am running Windows XP and I played it via network shares from my Laptop.