WHS Network share access: multiple users/parental control

A small sugestion,

when acessing shares:

It would be nice if the WDTV live could “remember/toggle users”  and allow each user to save or not his password.

I know I can clear all login info, but this imposes a lot of typing if I want to make sure my kids do not watch violents movies, since this also clears the “generic family account” credentials.

My setup:

WDTV live

ACER WHS 340  with accounts to do parental control:

WHS accounts used:

WDTV account:  can access all kids movies (would save user & password)

my & wife account: can access more violen movies. (would save user only)

Access via media center (not possible)

Most of my kid movies are in MKV (created with makemkv), which is not visible true Media center (only via shares)

I do own  a new passport  HD with encryption, but it beats the purpose of having a home server to centralize the medias.

any suggestions to acheive what I want to do, or alternate solutions would be apreciated.

Thank you.

Ben

Yeah, that’s a necessary evil!   Suggestions should go in the IDEAS Lab, but search first to see if it’s already there.  If it is, vote for it!

Here’s a workaround:  Use a USB Keyboard.  :)  It’s not publicly known, but the Pre_Release software enables limited USB Keyboard Support.  It’s undocumented right now, and probably will be undocumented for a while.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Yeah, that’s a necessary evil!   Suggestions should go in the IDEAS Lab, but search first to see if it’s already there.  If it is, vote for it!

Thank you for the suggestion. I added it in IDEAS lab.

Do you beleive doing what I am looking for  would be difficult in a homebrew version of the software ?