Which storage is right for me?

I’ve been looking all over to try and find the right storage option for me but I cannot find the right/enough information for me to be able to make my decision. Please help!

I would like to be able to store a large amount of various information - photo’s, docs, photoshop files, videos (mpeg/mp4/avi) etc.

A big must is to be able to stream videos from it both at home on the TV (not smart TV) and when not at home straight to a laptop.

What do you suggest?

To stream at home to a non smart tv, you’ll need a client (i.e. WDTV, Roku, etc…). To stream when not at home, you’ll need a good upload speed from home.

I think thats where I’m getting confused, I need 2 devices dont I?

I have a good upload speed but my issue is whether I’ll be able to stream to a player of my own (VLC) instead of using WD’s one as I dont believe it plays all formats of video?

I find it odd that I am asking where I should be spending my money on possibly 2 WD items but there’s no comment from anyone from WD advising me what to buy…?

Yes you can use your own media player (i.e. VLC, MPC-HC, XBMC, etc…) to stream from the My Cloud. I do this at home using my XBMC client.

Thank you tnynyn. Can you please tell me how you access the files when away from home? Can you access them in a finder window (MAC) or do you have to go through a website?

This a shy quess only ( little experience with My Book Live last Christmas… ) It would be via a website and passwords.

BatemanLDN wrote:

I’ve been looking all over to try and find the right storage option for me but I cannot find the right/enough information for me to be able to make my decision. Please help!

I would like to be able to store a large amount of various information - photo’s, docs, photoshop files, videos (mpeg/mp4/avi) etc.

A big must is to be able to stream videos from it both at home on the TV (not smart TV) and when not at home straight to a laptop.

What do you suggest?

For remote connection (WAN)

The easy way is enabling ftp server on MyCloud dashboard.

Then in your OS use a ftp client to access and manage files (upload,download, sync, delete,ect…)

For multimedia my fav is XBMC add audio/video folder from ftp address and you will be able to watch/listen via ftp stream browsing folder remotely.

Remember that for video (specially HD) you will need a GOOD UPLOAD speed from the place you have your MyCloud connected.

I mean FAST connection.

The difficult way  is to have openvpn server in bridge mode (tap) enabled on MyCloud (not tried yet but feasible) or in the router you attached the MyCloud or even in a computer in this LAN.

On the remote client WAN side (where you are) use openvpn client and then you could use MyCloud as if you where physically on this LAN.

1 Like

I’ll purchase the WDcloud then and give it a go. Although the above is helpful, it doesn’t address my issue with wanting to play videos through my home tv… Would I need the WD Live TV thing using the WDcloud as a shared drive to do this?

Enable media stream on MyCloud dashboard.

From any  computer in your lan connect it to HDMI in your TV install XBMC (add upnp source from mycloud) and you can watch Movies/ear audio.

You can control XBMC GUI from your sofa with varous smarphone apps.

No need of more devices.

1 Like

You’ve been a great help. I’m going to get this tomorrow and I’ll post back with how I got on or if I faced any issues