Which G-RAID models can be configured for RAID-1?

Hi, first time here.

I have a G-RAID3, (with 2 x 1.5TB) configured as RAID-0, giving 3TB. It’s used with Windows 7 Pro.

I need to reconfigue it as RAID-1, giving redundancy rather than capacity, but running the “G-Tech RAID Configuration Utility”, it either never finds the drive, or finds it and after being told to change to RAID-1 it never returns - on checking later the drive is still seen as 1x3TB. I haven’t established a pattern to which of these happens, except that it’s never seen by the software when using eSATA or FireWire, so I’m sticking with USB2.0 for now.

Is this drive too old to be able to change configuration?

If so, which of the (many!) models of G-RAID do allow this? (I really don’t want to buy a new one, so models available on eBay would be good :slight_smile:

My G-RAID3 has 1x eSATA, 1x FW400, 2xFW800 and 1x USB2.0 connectors.

I notice that some later ones don’t have eSATA or FW400, and have USB3.0. I really want to use eSATA as in theory it should be the fastest (I have a micro-server with eSATA that I want to use it with).

So: How do I get a G-RAID in RAID-1 configuration, connected by eSATA? And which particular version of Configuration Utility software do I need to make the change (running under Windows 7)?

Cheers,
Howard

Only our removable series G-RAIDs can be configured as RAID1.

G-RAID w/ TB2 & 3, the original G-RAID Removable that had USB3.0, FW800
and the G-RAID Removable w/ USB 3.0

All previous G-RAIDs that have no front opening door and removable drives are locked to RAID0

Hi Howard, welcome!

Regarding your G-RAID3, it should be possible to reconfigure it from RAID-0 to RAID-1 using the G-Tech RAID Configuration Utility. However, there could be several reasons why the utility is not working as expected, such as compatibility issues with your operating system, hardware malfunction, or software bugs.

If you have tried using different interfaces and the utility still doesn’t recognize the drive or fails to change the RAID configuration, it’s possible that the device is experiencing a hardware failure or it simply doesn’t support changing RAID configurations. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any information indicating that the G-RAID3 supports changing RAID modes.

In terms of other G-RAID models, most of them support changing the RAID configuration, but the specific process and software requirements may vary depending on the model. It’s worth checking the manufacturer’s website or user manual for the specific G-RAID model you’re interested in to verify that it supports changing RAID modes and what software is needed for the process.

As for connecting the G-RAID to your micro-server via eSATA, any G-RAID model with an eSATA interface should work. However, keep in mind that the maximum transfer speed will depend on the specific eSATA implementation used by your micro-server and the G-RAID’s eSATA interface. Additionally, some newer G-RAID models may not have eSATA interfaces and only support USB or Thunderbolt.

I recommend checking out the G-RAID product page on the manufacturer’s website and looking for a model that meets your requirements. As for the specific version of the Configuration Utility software needed for the model, that information should be available on the manufacturer’s website as well.

I hope this helps!

G-RAID with Thunderbolt 3, This model offers high-performance storage with Thunderbolt 3 connectivity and can be configured for RAID-1 to provide data redundancy.