WHICH FORMAT TYPE do I choose? G-RAID T3 and WD Easystore

QUESTIONS AT BOTTOM

I just purchased 2016 MBP 15 (1tb ssd internal SSD, Thunderbolt3 & installed FCPX).
I plan to keep most ALL files on an external drive to keep my MBP clean.

FINAL CUT PRO X
I plan to set FCPX settings to “leave files in place” so FCPX references vids on external drive.
I want videos to stay on external drive when editing to keep my internal ssd clean.
I plan to save projects, completed videos & most ALL files on external hard drive.
Programs & Apps (including FCPX) will be installed on INTERNAL SSD drive.

G-RAID T3
I plan to buy a G-RAID 12TB OR 16TB THUNDERBOLT3 & use it as RAID-0 (for speed).

WD EASYSTORE USB
I ALSO plan to buy a 5200rpm WD Easystore 8Tb external drive to back up the G-Raid to.
WDEasystore MUST be REFORMATTED to work w Mac but I don’t know which EXACT format to choose.

CURRENTLY (windows) / CHANGING OVER TO MAC
I currently have a 4tb WD MYBOOK ext drive thats plugged into a WINDOWS pc.
I need to copy all files from WD 4tbMYBOOK to G-RAID T3 & be able to edit the files w MBP.
I’ll be adding new files to G-RAID T3 & be backing up the G-RAID to WD 8TB EASYSTORE drive.

MY SET UP / PLAN IS:
Programs/Apps to be installed on MBP 15 internal ssd.
Most FILES will be on external drive (to keep MBP drive clean)…
MBP to be connected via T3 to G-RAID T3 (12 or 16tb) to use as main drive (file, vids, etc).
MBP also to be connected via USB3 to 8tb WD EASYSTORE EXT DRIVE to BACKUP G-RAID drive.

I read somewhere G-RAID T3 comes pre-formatted for Mac?
I know the WD EasyStore box says it MUST be REFORMATTED for Mac.
Im supposed to CHOOSE which format to RE-FORMAT the WD Easystore drive.
Ive read somewhere that certain file-formats have FILE-SIZE limits?
I have NO IDEA which file format to choose.

Im ASSUMING-GUESSING Im supposed to reformat WD-easystore drive so it’s SAME format
as G-RAID since the WD will be backing up the G-RAID…but & I’m not sure.

*MY QUESTIONS

1. What EXACT “file format” will G-Raid arrive as?
    I “think” G-RAID comes pre-formatted for Mac but I’m asking what EXACT file-format is it?

2. Should I reformat G-Raid to a different file-format?
    If so, what EXACT file-format should I reformat it to?

3. What EXACT file- file format should I reformat the WD Easystore external drive to?
    I know I need to reformat the easystore drive for Mac but I’m asking what EXACT file-format?

4. Advice (or known potential problem) on me copying all my current files FROM my 4TB WD (currently plugged into windows pc)…TO…the G-RAID T3 (that will be used w my MBP running MAC OS )?

5. Will FCPX work OK if I set it to “leave files in place” so videos stay on G-RAID T3 instead of importing them to internal SSD?

Thanks

1. The G-RAID will arrive RAID0(Striped) with the Mac OS Extended(Journaled) file system on it. (HFS+)

2. You should leave it as it is, you only want to format it for exFAT if you plan on using it between Mac and Windows permanently.

3. The same as what the G-RAID will come as, Mac OS Extended(Journaled) It is the default format type on a Mac.

4. In order for the drive to work on Windows it will need to be formatted or you will need to install 3rd party software on the Windows machine in order to read a Mac formatted drive. Paragon HFS+ or MacDrive can accomplish this. They are paid software but you can use it for free for a few days which should be more than enough time to transfer the data.

5. You can use the drive as a working/scratch drive and keep your existing projects on the internal SSD.

1 Like

Thanks so much.

NUMBER 4: Im not sure I was clear.
Your answer doesn’t seem to address my issue.
Let me explain and ask a different way.

RECAP
I just purchased a 16 MBP.
I will be buying a *12TB or 16TB G-RAID T3 external drive (to use w MBP only).
I will also be buying a *8Tb WD EASYSTORE external drive (to use to BACKUP the G-RaidT3 w MBP only).

I am SWITCHING from WINDOWS PC to APPLE MBP.
My old windows pc has an old wd my book external drive connected to it.

I need to MOVE files FROM my “old” 4TB WD-MYBOOK external drive (which is connected to a WINDOWS PC) …TO… the new G-RAID T3. The G-RAID T3 will ONLY be used w my MBP. I want those files that I moved from the old 4TB WD MYBOOK to the G-RAID T3 be accessible & be able to edit them with my MBP once they are ON the G-RAID T3. Of course I will be adding new files to the G-RAID T3. The new GRAID T3 will be backed up by a new 8tb WD Easystore external drive.

AFTER THE TRANSFER IS DONE: The “old” 4tb WD MYBOOK external drive will stay connected to my old WINDOWS pc. I will not be trying to access the old 4tb WD MYBOOK with my new MBP. I will NOT be using my old windows pc to try to access anything on the new G-RAIDT3 or the new WD Easystore external drive. These 2 new drives (GRaidT3 & WD 8t Easystore) will be used with my MBP …only.

FOR TESTING: I connected the “old” WD 4TB MYBOOK external drive to my MBP to see if I can CAN SEE the files w my MBP on the old WD MY BOOK. I CAN SEE the files & open them w my MBP but I can’t delete the files with my MBP on that WD 4TB MYBOOK external drive. I seem to be able to COPY the files from the WD 4TB MYBOOK external drive and PASTE the files onto my MBP (internal ssd). I seem to be able to edit the files once on my MBP and I can also delete the files as well (once they are on the MBP).

QUESTION:

HOW DO I COPY OR TRANFER the files FROM my “old” 4TB WD-MYBOOK external drive (now connected to a WINDOWS PC) …TO… the new G-RAID T3. (G-RAID T3 will ONLY be used w my MBP) so that the transferred files will be accessible & be able to edit the transferred files with my MBP once the files are ON the new G-RAID T3?..WHATS THE BEST PROCESS TO MOVE THE FILES?

DO I SIMPLY CONNECT BOTH EXTERNAL DRIVES TO MY MacBook Pro AND JUST COPY & PASTE?

THANKS

Hi, see my reply - re: number 4 question/answer…Let me know if possible. Thanks!